nook s2 uses internal sd card instead of mounted external sd card

helen.disenhaus

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
I want to relieve storage problems by moving files to my external sd card. However, the tablet always puts them on a nearly full emulated sd card in the device's internal storage. It recognizes in settings that there is a nearly empty external sd card that is mounted. I do not want to root it. No file manager seems to let me really move things to the external card. I am willing to do it via a pc connection if necessary, if the data could beused. I cannot find a solution anywhere. Nook doesnot seem to have OS above 6 altough Samsung put it out for their devices.

Solution
Your device has internal storage (usable by apps) and a SD card that is mounted to the device. (not two cards)

The SD card is usable and able to save files to it. Since it is mounted. However a mounted card does not make it able to save apps to it. It must be set to do so (using the instructions I included) above. 6.0 is actually Marshmallow. So that version of Android does allow it. It just depends on if the manufacturer of your device restricted it or not.

The only way to save apps to the card is to use the instructions included. If they don't work, or a part is missing on the device, then it was restricted by the manufacturer.

If you are, instead, trying to save anything other than apps to the card, that is much easier. You can...
I think you have your info a tad incorrect. The storage it saves to isn't an SD card but the internal storage. It should have like 35GB of internal storage. As far as I know that device only allows for the use of 1 SD card. You can see the specs here... https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-s2/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-nook-8-0-32gb-wi-fi-black-sm-t710nzkebnn/

If you are trying to turn the SD card from "External" to "Internal" the instructions I am including is how to do so.

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

helen.disenhaus

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you very much for your prompt response. I think it has Android 6 and
won't update to 7 (maybe because it is a Nook version). However, I think
that my problem is that the device somehow has emulated an sd card using
internal memory, and then it won't save to the external sd card. In
storage, it shows that there is a mounted card, but very little of its
space is used. In contrast, virtually all the internal space is used.
Total potential storage space adds the two together, so the card seems
readable. From what I have managed to glean from lots of searches, if it
emulates an sd card, it won't save anything to the actual external sd card
that is in the slot. If I could even move documents there I would be
happy. I move all my downloaded newspapers and magazines to the Nook
cloud, but I am still running out of space. I keep thinking there is a
file manager that would let me see the real sd card and move files off the
emulated one onto the real one, but it seems to just copy them back to the
emulated card. All the apps that indicated they could be moved apparently
ended up on the internal emulated card. I do not have many photo or audio
or video files, so that is not the problem. Would using my PC allow me to
see both the emulated sd card in internal storage and the actual sd card
and then move files to the real sd card? Does this make any sense? Note that in Astro File Manager, when I click on the SD card, I geta message saying I cannot edit it. The total storage shown is 32 GB for the device (almost all in use) and 29.8 GB for the sd card, with only 1.15 GB in use. If I unmount the sd card, the 29.8 GB no longer shows up.

Your device has internal storage (usable by apps) and a SD card that is mounted to the device. (not two cards)

The SD card is usable and able to save files to it. Since it is mounted. However a mounted card does not make it able to save apps to it. It must be set to do so (using the instructions I included) above. 6.0 is actually Marshmallow. So that version of Android does allow it. It just depends on if the manufacturer of your device restricted it or not.

The only way to save apps to the card is to use the instructions included. If they don't work, or a part is missing on the device, then it was restricted by the manufacturer.

If you are, instead, trying to save anything other than apps to the card, that is much easier. You can then connect the tablet to a computer via USB cord and move the files to an empty folder on the computer and then back over to the SD card. You can also then set apps like your camera for example to save to the card rather than the phone.

Solution