Normal or Smart TV, considering the PC?

Aeonxal

Estimable
May 9, 2014
Hello, the location of which I'm planning to put TV at is very close to PC, running good enough graphics to handle 3-4 monitors and considering that, I wonder whether should I get a smart tv or the regular one and connect it as 3rd display and manage things that way, but I heard there may be a problem with resolution. etc.

Also, are there any other options? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Solution
There is no problem with resolution since you can set the resolution of each display. There is a small inconvenience in that most TVs overscan the picture unlike monitors. Overscan is so that you won't see blanks at the edges of the screen. It also means if you run a window at full size you will not see some of that window. You can turn off the overscan in some TVs. On some PCs you get the ability to scale the picture to the screen.
I was going to get an android box but wanted to try Kodi on my projector so I connected a laptop. Never bothered with the android since I was fine with the laptop.

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I personally am a fan of using a HTPC with my main TV. Just get a nice wireless keyboard/trackpad controller and it can do everything a smart TV can plus more.

Although almost all TVs nowadays are "smart" to some degree.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
very few are the not smart tvs this days

you can't really buy a samsung tv that is not smart tv this days, other manufacturers are the same

i had resolution and screen position problems with both dumb and smart tvs

buy a smart tv and play with settngs on it to set screen position properly, the resolution depends on the hdmi port mostly

Aeonxal

Estimable
May 9, 2014

"or the regular one and connect it as 3rd display and manage things that way, but I heard there may be a problem with resolution. etc"

You sure do if you don't read :)

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I've never had resolution issues connecting my PC to a TV. Sometimes you have to change the input setting to "PC" or some other similar setting but usually there is a way. You can pull up the manual for the TV your looking to buy online and double check before you purchase.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
no, it is not common to have resolution issues, unless your tv is only hd, so it will take 1080p but will scale it down to 768p or 720p

this is problematic sometimes, but not often this happes

i can't set my desktop to 1080p on my hd tv, but i can set gta to 1080p and tv will take that and show it the best it can, not ideal but tv finds the way

what happens alot is that screen is not horizontally or vertically adjusted

in this case is very important to know if the tv will let you adjust manually those values, mine has this option but is very limited, fortunatelly i haven't needed it with the new tv

There is no problem with resolution since you can set the resolution of each display. There is a small inconvenience in that most TVs overscan the picture unlike monitors. Overscan is so that you won't see blanks at the edges of the screen. It also means if you run a window at full size you will not see some of that window. You can turn off the overscan in some TVs. On some PCs you get the ability to scale the picture to the screen.
I was going to get an android box but wanted to try Kodi on my projector so I connected a laptop. Never bothered with the android since I was fine with the laptop.

Solution