Norton Anti-Theft Takes Mugshot of Device-Stealing Thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Kind of useless since all it takes for the thief to do is a complete format of the computer, no? The reinstall should be easy as nearly all laptops have the Windows product key on the bottom. Just my two cents.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
You still have to instal Norton Anti-Theft right? on all three platforms if you want them recovered, if they ever got stolen.
Can you imagine the cheesy line"Sneak Peek" that is used, a snap shot taken at the wrong time could end up on the norton website. Wouldn't we love to see all those sneak peeks....

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Like any tool, it has potential for misuse.

For instance: When the pervs of the world figure it out and loan their laptop to their neighbor, or leave their smartphone strategically placed at a friends house... instant spy cam.

G

Symantec claims that Norton Anti-Theft works securely over the Internet
So if the thief takes your laptop but doesn't go on the internet then he's safe right? Also I'm sure "locking" the computer just means putting a password and not encrypting the hard drive or locking the bios. So you can just pop in a live cd (like ubuntu) and have unlimited access.

also tracks and maps the location of the stolen/lost device when anyone uses it to go online
So how will this fair against nearly all laptops that doesn't have GPS built it? IP can only approximate the city its in unless the police gets a warrant to ask the ISP for who that is (highly unlikely).

Another useless product by Norton!

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I don't even notice it on my core i7, i5 or i3 computers. Its the best out there hands down.[/citation]

I, indeed, had heard that the latest Norton was no longer a resource hog that horribly affected computers. However, I think they earned a bad reputation that's going to be hard to dispel.

I'm glad Avast works well enough for me and is free.

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
There's a little thing called "Prey Project" that does the same, and you know which is the best part? that it´s FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.