Norton AV causes iTunes to hang

Junkmalee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I have a clean install of Windows 7 64bit HOME with all current updates and service packs. If I install iTunes (either current or old versions) after a clean install of windows, iTunes loads instantly...After I install Norton AV and try to open up iTunes, it hangs. iTunes will take about a good minute or 2 to open..If I uninstall Norton - iTunes works properly and loads instantly ..I know norton isn't that great but I still have more time on my subscription...can anyone point me anywhere?

RealBeast

Distinguished
It sounds like you have Norton Internet Security, not just the simple AV.

If so, you can either disable the smart firewall or go into the network settings in the main Norton Internet Security page, go to program control under the smart firewall and change iTunes to Allow, which will unblock it from the firewall.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Then the next step would be to download AUTORUNS, install and run to see if you have any other LSPs (look under the winsock providers tab and you should only see Bonjour). If Bonjour is the only thing there, then just open an elevated command prompt (right click, run as admin) and type these one at a time:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns shutdown and then restart
netsh winsock reset all then reboot computer

Junkmalee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Nope didn't work..I uninstalled norton and ran reg cleaners afterwards and guess what iTunes still doesn't execute properly. So I guess it's not Norton? Back to the old drawing board..all other programs work properly it's just iTunes..thank you for your time!