Notebook CPU temperature spikes after thermal paste replacement

Rangan Das

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Replaced the stock thermal paste on an HP 15-AB125AX (AMD A10-8700P with R6 GPU and AMD R7 M360) with Cooler Master's paste. With an ambient temp of 30 degrees centigrade (+/-2), my CPU is running at around 45 - 50 degree centigrade on idle.

I did a stress test using AIDA64, the temp stays stable 74 degrees (which is lower than what it was before changing the thermal paste), but at certain times, when idle, I am getting alerts from AIDA64 that my CPU temp is 80 degrees centigrade. I have an alert set for CPU temps > 75 in AIDA64.

However, it occurs occasionally. I have mounted the heatsink properly, and double checked it. I have also used a handsome amount of paste. How is the temps getting higher than what a stress test can generate?

I have HP CoolSense turned on, even though I do not know if it really does anything or not. Also, when I am playing games, what is the maximum permissible temperature?

Rangan Das

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Yes, I know that a very little amount is needed. I put a tiny drop on the heatsink mount and a similar amount on the cpu and gpu.

In case I have put an excess amount, should I remove some?

Rangan Das

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

I did that too. However, I now notice that my temps are lower after some torture tests in furmark and prime95. Does such generic thermal pastes need some time to set in, as in, some curing time?