Solved! Notebook Startup Problems (NEC Versa P8100)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

it4u

Great
Dec 20, 2018
I have a 14-year old NEC Versa P8100, which, upon start up, this screen appears:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13kTPalZKP5xaOvJoDfpxO27VXeoNfpX3

and then it automatically goes to this screen:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12KCIzLP76Au-9Biy-Dg7zjvTBYJ3Vdmz

As you can see from the second photo, it is able to detect the Hard Disk Drive and RAM

BUT THEREAFTER,

Irregardless of whatever key I press (example: ESC, F2, F8, Fn-F9), nothing works. I can't get into BIOS to change the date, and neither can I get it to continue with the start up.

Aside, plugging in an external USB which contains a Windows-to-go operating system, does not work too.

Please help. and thanks in advance. I have already tried all known ways, such as continually pressing ESC before the start up screen, but nothing works.

Solution
It's most porbable that the system changed somewhere alon teh line and because Windows 7 Ultimate has just become a more down to earth version wit no memory of what was installed. Fortunately, there is an option of a free Office package that can work with the existing doc, xls, ppt etc. that were created in MS Office. It's called Libre Office and is free.

it4u

Great
Dec 20, 2018
On a related matter, in the HDD of this notebook, is a licensed and activated copy of MS Office PRO PLUS 2010
Everything was fine when I last used it. Then, the notebook installed several Windows 7 updates, including (i) KB3004469, (ii) KB2998812, and (iii) KB977617
Update of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) was not successful
When I next switched on the notebook, the previously licensed and activated copy of MS Office PRO PLUS 2010, now reflects "NOT ACTIVATED"

What might be the issue(s), and how do I resolve it, aside from rolling back the updates? Thanks

I'll get back to this thread later when I open my office where I can see if any of the Broadcom drivers I have fit the bill for you. Biggest problem there is my memory but I'll write myself a note. :(

It's retrograde to go uninstall updates. They're a darned nuisance but they are the glue that holds Windows together.

it4u

Great
Dec 20, 2018
Hi, I have managed to obtain the Broadcom driver for that model, from another manufacturer's website. hence, no action needed on your part. thanks anyway
The thing now is about the recent "NOT ACTIVATED" situation in my MS Office 2010 PRO PLUS. What do you suggest that I do now? I do not have the CD to reinstall. It was clearly activated

It's most porbable that the system changed somewhere alon teh line and because Windows 7 Ultimate has just become a more down to earth version wit no memory of what was installed. Fortunately, there is an option of a free Office package that can work with the existing doc, xls, ppt etc. that were created in MS Office. It's called Libre Office and is free.

Solution