Notebook Turned Into Electro

Swane

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I flew abroad and turned my AC adapter on my dell n5010 notebook and noticed that sometimes when i touch the area around the touch pad i get a small shock and if i keep my finger there it keeps shocking me until i let go.
Is my notebook slowly turning into Electro?
If pictures are needed i will post them.

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

Please plug the AC adapter in other wall socket (another room preferable); if it solves the problem, call an electrician to check the wiring from the defective wall socket (an improper grounding most likely).

If this is not the solution, please consider replacing your AC adapter ASAP!

Swane

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
i plugged it in the same socket and it didn't gave me a shock.
my adapter sparked(at the connection of the socket and the adapter) once but it was in a different socket and it sparked even when i plugged my tablet in there.
and if the problem is in the adapter will i be able to purchase it in a computer store or i need to purchase it at the manufacturer?

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

Where are you from? because sometimes by inserting the plug the other way around the phenomenon dissapears (it swaps the Live with the Neutral lines). For example, in US, UK, Switzerland etc, you have one single way to connect the AC plug in the wall socket, while in the rest of Europe you can revert the AC plug into the socket (and it is quite dangerous if the grounding connection is not OK).

Regarding sparking: it is normal and is generated by the auto-induction phenomenon (lamps, electrical ovens and motors) and/or the charging of the main capacitors (power supplies). It is NOT normal though to continue AFTER the plug is inserted in the wall socket.

If you must change the AC adapter, it is best to contact DELL representatives for your country and (hopefully) they will recommend you the nearest authorized computer shop.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
You always get a shock from devices that don't have a ground wire on their plug so the residual current is grounded through you. So in order to do it right, you need to use a grounded adapter pluged into a grounded socket.