NTSC HDMI horizontal frequency

buheshma

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I have a very cheap Chinese made WANSA 50" Plasma HDTV. I don't have any problems with it except when I play PS3 using HDMI cables. This is probably because the PS3 is the only HD source I can use at the moment.

The problem doesn't show up very often except in sports games, like Pro Evolution Soccer which as a lot of horizontal panning of the screen. The problem generally shows up on the TV as flicker, kinda like playing a PC game with no VSYNC sometimes. Another minor problem is that the screen shifts to the left or right (by a few pixels) every minute or so, but that's not too noticeable

The following are the relevant specs from the manual:

HDMI Input:

Resolution Horizontal Frequency (KHz) Vertical Frequency (Hz)
720p 37.50/44.96 50/59.94/60
1080i 28.13/33.75 50/59.94/60

note: The first number for frequencies is for PAL, the second and third number is for NTSC mode

Anyone that knows what the problem may be please let me know! I have tried the following solutions: Different PS3 as well as RGB connections (no flickering only poor colors but that's to be expected). Problem persists on different PS3 as well. HDMI cable in use is brand new but super cheap (not that it should make a difference)

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Not sure what's causing the flicker, Is it the same at 720p and 1080I?
Your shift comes from the TV in game mode, it prevents pixel burn by shifting the picture ( the burn will display as a ghost image burnt onto the screen.)