number 4 on keyboard wont type (numpad is fine though)

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
for some unexplained reason, the 4 key on my laptop (msi ge72 2qc apache)
just stopped registering whenever i try to enter in a 4 from it (the row above the qwerty keys).

the shift+4 still enters $ and programs where i would say configure a hotkey still recognizes when the 4 is pressed at least.

does anyone know what could cause this or how to fix it?

Well if the laptop was dropped, something was dropped on the keyboard, liquid got in, or something else got in (food etc) that could cause it, but then it makes it very odd that it will work for the $.

Try this..

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer. (Yes, without reinstalling the driver just yet.)
3. When the computer restarts it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

this unfortunately didnt work, though im not sure if i should have clicked "delete the driver software for this device" box too. since this is a laptop keyboard, would that make it not reinstall on its own?

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

this was worth a shot, but sadly, that program only works with externally connected peripherals and not built in laptop keyboards, so im still stuck.

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

no, but ill try it when i get home though. if it doesnt work there for some reason, i guess it would say a lot about whats wrong.

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

i just tried another keyboard, the 4 key wasnt working on it either.

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

im honestly glad that its not a physical problem. personally, i kinda ruled that out at first when i could still use $.
it means that fixing it should not require replacing anything physically. a little ago on the msi website, someone suggested reinstalling the scm which is the system control manager. (brightness, battery configs, webcam toggle etc). im a bit hesitant to think this will fix it, but im otherwise out of things to try at the moment.

Mochithecat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

thanks though its not the perfect workaround either. $ doesnt work while the hotkey is active for instance as its remapping any instance of the 4 key. im ok with it mostly because i dont need it all the time though the only workaround for that i can think of is trying to map another key like the * near the numlock as its a different key than say the * from the 8 key. its all more convoluted than i would like to be honest.