Nvidia Driver keep crashing and recovered on ASUS N55S while playing games

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Hello guys.

I've been having this problem for awhile since I'm still on Win7.
I'm so frustrated that after I clean installed Win10 on my laptop, the problem is still there.

The laptop is 4 years old if that can help solving this problem and the problem happened just recently.

Already tried re-installing the newest driver with DDU and also tried reverting back to older driver but end up with the same problem.

Did opened the case to clean for dust and tried to play some games while the case isn't assembled and games running for a long time and didn't have the driver crash, but after the case assembled and awhile, the problem persist.

Tried using Furmark to check whether gpu overheating or anything.
Running the GPU stress test on 1920x1080 and 1366x768 shows that the temperature goes above of 80c steadily from idle temperature(idle 50c). That's bad isn't it?

But, in games, the driver keep crashing and recovering on 53~60c mark, does my gpu is overheating cause of the games?

Will changing my gpu thermal paste helped? It's my last resort though :p

Here some readings during the incident from GPU-Z:
As you can see, graph stripes is the one where the problem occured.
The problem is reproducible, so if the screenshot didn't help much I can try again.
image.gif

Any input to solve this problem is welcome, please assist me on what to do next.
Any help will be appreciated.

My Laptop Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Intel i5-2450M 2.5ghz
4GB Ram
Nvidia GT555M 2GB
Intel HD3000

Well the problem isn't related to running 7. I still run 7 (hate the 8s and 10s), waiting for something better. :)

It sounds like it isn't a software problem, but a hardware one. If the graphics card is overheating, you will get that problem.

You can try cleaning off the old, and adding new, thermal paste. That may well resolve it. However if that doesn't, then you are going to need to replace the part/parts.

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I will take your advice about the thermal paste, but I still want to keep it as a last resort for now haha

Btw, I got a new development, some game doesn't have the problem occurring
Now that is kinda surprising to me and a little bit confusing now haha.

The game that I'm referring before and got so many gpu driver crashes is Legend of Korra(LoK)
The one that doesn't have driver crashes is Ori and the blind forest Definitive one.

To be honest, I think Ori look a lot heavier than LoK (even though it's side-scrolling game) and running quite fine.

I am not so sure your temps are the problem then. For video cards, 70C for load is quite normal. If you want to decrease your temperatures, you could increase your fan speed. But it really shouldn't be necessary. Your temperatures will obviously go up when you're using your video card. That it freezes and crashes is not normal. Does it happen any other time, other than when playing certain games? If it doesn't, it may be some conflict with the specific game(s). Make sure you update your drivers to the newest version.

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

It's only happening when playing games, especially a 3D games (the problem doesn't seem to happen on 2D games)

All of my drivers are the newest that were available.

Hmm I am at a loss then, the options mentioned are the normal reasons for the issue, unless the games you are playing are not what your laptop can handle. What I mean is some games requirements may be higher or right on the border of what your computer is capable of.

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

The 3D games I played is playabable on decent framerate months before the problem arise.

I'm baffled too lol

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Only the charger recently changed since it broke down.
Other than that, everything pretty much the same old one hardware wise.

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Since I never meddled with clocking, I might need some help on that but it seems that the afterburner can't detect all the stuffs.
dz259id.jpg

Kinda weird...

Themastererr

Commendable
May 22, 2016

It detects it. The voltages and power limits are locked.

Try to lower both clocks 75mhz. See if your driver still crashes.

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Ok, I did that and I'm surprised that the legend of korra game/driver didn't crash instantly and I thought that fixed it.
Sadly, it only delayed the driver crash for like 40 seconds(probably).

Then I tried the game again, but there's no delay anymore, it's like the same things as before, crashing the driver instantly...

Themastererr

Commendable
May 22, 2016
interesting. Unlock the voltage via the settings money and add a wee bit. (12) millivolts. See if iy helps

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Hmm... I did tick the 'unlock voltage control' option but the interface is still the same like the image I posted before.
Am I doing it wrong?

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
It's now getting worse, I used to be able to play Ori but now my PC shutdown and restarted when the game is loading at the start.

I kinda think that my fan is dying...

crez3088

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Here's some new development:
- tried to open gpu-z but got the error message stating that "a device is not functioning properly"

- tried using a friend's device that sucked out hot air from the vent when playing a 3d game and to my surprise before shutting down, an osd of asus p4g pop up saying that it's running in ac mode(battery mode?). I guess it is because I didn't have any battery attached on it that it is shutted down?

- tried playing games with intergrated gpu, the problematic game is playable(with lag of course) without shutting down. btw forget about my fans is dying cause it's running quite strong when using intel's gpu.

- rather than why my nvidia driver was crashing, I'm now more concerned of why does my laptop is shutting down when I'm using my gt555m to play games, is it because it is dying? (I hope not though...)