NVIDIA GPU FPS Deterioration in Games

Giantfox

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
Hey guys. I've got a laptop with an i7-3537U and a NVIDIA GeForce 710M with 8GB RAM. The computer is roughly 2.5 years old. Now for the question - did I screw up my GPU? When I got this laptop, I didn't play games on it. But last year I started, and I got some pretty decent FPS rates on games (for example, 30-45 fps on Battlefield 3 and 45-50 fps on Call of Duty MW2). But as of late, my PC can't even muster 20 fps on Battlefield 3. As all things go, is my GPU's life ending or is it just underperforming due to dust or something?

Solution
Before you reset the laptop, check for dust as that could be the issue. Then see if windows store uses the dgpu when on idle. This happens a lot in windows 8 so you will have to disable it while gaming.

A way to check if the gpu is dying is see the temps while gaming. It will go up as the age of the gpu gets older.

Finally you can take the battery off and it should reduce temps by about 10 degrees.

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007
more likely its time to reinstall windows fresh. Small errors over time begin to add up impacting performance. Other likely offenders are mal-ware, viruses or other bloatware you\windows\laptop maker have installed over the years. try running mal-ware bytes and virus scanner and see if anything shows up. Also assuming our not using a SSD defrag your hard drive

Giantfox

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015

You may be right. I have Windows 8.1 (Windows 10 is too much for my PC) and I usually do a refresh or a full reinstall of Windows around every 4 months. I don't mind doing it again, but I did it just over a month ago. Maybe the card is dying?

Before you reset the laptop, check for dust as that could be the issue. Then see if windows store uses the dgpu when on idle. This happens a lot in windows 8 so you will have to disable it while gaming.

A way to check if the gpu is dying is see the temps while gaming. It will go up as the age of the gpu gets older.

Finally you can take the battery off and it should reduce temps by about 10 degrees.

Solution