Nvidia graphics card always overheats in laptop

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have a Lenovo Y480, which I love, but since I got it, it spontaneously shuts down (to protect it from overheating) whenever I use a program (usually some game) that utilizes the discrete Nvidia graphics card (a GeForce GT 640M LE). I suppose that this is not normal? Is there anyway to tell if this is a software/settings problem or a hardware problem (which hopefully is fixable)?

Here's a shot of my idle temps (while plugged in on a hard wood table). When I load a game that uses the Nvidia graphics, the Nvidia graphics card temp spikes to over 100 degrees Celsius over a couple minutes, at which point it automatically powers off.

original

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Is this a new laptop? If so, send it back to get it fixed. Never open units if they are under warranty.

If it's a used unit or you don't care, I'd start by opening the unit and making sure the heatsinks are free of dust. Try it again and see if problem fixed.

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
The warranty expired last year, unfortunately. When I have time next weekend, I'll open it up and blow it out--considering that it was this way when it was brand new (I wish I'd pursued the issue then--I just assumed that I had some setting messed-up on it), I'm guessing that this probably won't fix the problem, though that would be awesome.

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
So, I just got my laptop back from the computer repair shop. It cost me $80 to have the fan cleaned out (it was fine) and thermal paste reapplied (it was a mess) to the CPU and Nvidia GPU heatsinks, anddd... No difference at all. As soon as a program begins loading that is one that kicks on the Nvidia GPU, the GPU temp goes over 100C and it shuts down automatically about 30-40 seconds after the program has loaded.

So, unless Lenovo would be willing to fix a hardware defect (I assume this is what's wrong?) on a laptop of theirs that is a year out of warranty (extended warranty--I even bought a one-year warranty extension, sigh), what are my options now? :(

So bummed.