Nvidia Hints at Quad-core Smartphones Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I can't wait, I've been using a defunct samsung impression that my girlfriend used to own. Meanwhile she's gotten two upgrades in a year, iphone 3gs and now an iphone 4. (I'm jelly)
I like being connected, and it's such a hassle using a phone that only works when it wants to and has a very unresponsive keyboard. My only concern would be power consumption, however I can only pray that Tegra will live up to the claims Nvidia makes, along with the hype that surrounds it. Wasn't it not long ago where we were just being introduced to multi core platforms in the consumer pc industry? It's amazing how fast things have been developing, I remember having my Sony Walkman as a kid, and I really thought it was the coolest thing ever.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I gotta say I am very unimpressed with my Tegra 2 Droid x2. they only time it uses the second core is when running THD games other wise it is a slightly above average 1ghz single core.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Quad-core tablets are already here, thanks to Asus and Nvidia's cooperation in getting the Transformer Prime to market before closing out 2011.

And we keep hearing of the planned launch of the iPad 3.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
OMG a quad core phone, married to a DROID RAZR MAXX with the screen size and processor speed of the DROID GALAXY NOTE, and maybe a bit better camera than some have reported on the DROID RAZRs. I just might get excited.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]I hope the guy in the picture loses his cell - enjoy the roller coaster ride, moron.[/citation]
He has probably turned on augmented reality on his phone. He's enjoying his next reality.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Honestly, quit with the "make it faster", "add more cores" bull$#!*. There is almost NO need to make phones faster. A few games/apps will benefit. That is all. Do what EVERYONE is asking and make something with similar power to today's single core chips that lasts at least 3 days, NOT on standby, but with usage.

New and more RAM and better RAM management will probably also help.

LISTEN phone companies and hardware companies who provide for phones.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
The trick to battery life on a quad-core phone is that only one core will be running most of the time. Only intensive and optimized applications will make use of the four cores anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.