NY Teachers Fired for Inappropriate Facebooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I wish my junior high teacher (who looks like the one in the photo) would've befriended and.... Too bad most people never heard of internet when I was in junior high.

bikerman7502002

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
As a returning student and future teacher (within 2 years), Social networking in one way or another is already part of most school systems that can afford enough computers. My teacher education program consists of a large group of students advancing at once, and facebook is the best way to communicate as a group with each other. The difference is that between teachers and students, the communication must be set up such that all contact is open to parents and supervisors to view. Facebook is not ideal for this purpose, but other dedicated social sites are around for this purpose and students do benefit educationally due to more access to teachers (for educational purposes only, obviously).

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Why do people have to be so selfish? Two of the teachers there were WAY out of bounds, as for the second one, I don't know what to think, not enough detail.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I don't see what the issue was with the second teacher. So the student is no longer a student and the teacher had a relationship with them. How is that cause for termination? Also this article doesn't say if they are high school students or not. I am assuming they are.

G

"Do you think there should be a policy in place preventing this kind of teacher-student communication on social networks?"

Pretty sure most schools have policies about teachers hitting on students through any medium.

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm a teacher and I won't do it. Lots of teachers do but I just want to keep a buffer between me and my students, and it's bad enough already that I've lost a lot of privacy within my family and people I barely know.

seamusmac

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I have no problem with teachers using social networking sites, it just comes to using them responsibly. For me I do not use my real name on Facebook because I think it is far too insecure to give the general public that info to go along with other information.

As for 2real's comment, the teacher's having sex with students were out there back then. But news didn't travel as far or fast so it was easily overlooked elsewhere.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It's a really funny thing, aren't teacher allowed in our society, I thought they were people too. As long as pupils don't manipulate teachers into giving them better grades and teachers don't take offense based on denial in a friends list , I really don't see anything wrong with the whole system.
A social network is like a Sunday shopping trip to the local mart, you meet the entire community there..... but they don't end up banning people from schools if they shared a coffee at the mart do they???

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]Americans? Chill, alright. It's just sex.[/citation]
Europeans chill, alright. It's just violence.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
In the cases in the article clearly the teachers were in the wrong.
However it's not surprising nor is it really a big deal.
Just discipline those who go to far and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.