NZXT CAM software reported temperature differences in Win 10

CT_1107

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
I built a home theater PC and it uses W10. I have a Ryzen 7-1700 on a Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming MB. The cooler is a Kraken X41. The cooler came with software called CAM that monitors several functions such as CPU temperature and load.

Here's the issue: When I monitor the temperature using remote desktop (RD) from my Win 7 laptop it reads significantly higher (15-20 degrees) than when I monitor it directly from the computer. It also jumps from the high 30's to the low 50's and then back again with no extra load. The load is low in both scenarios, like under 5%. I installed hardware monitor software and it reports temps in line with the RD ones. It seems logical the RD access is due to a higher CPU load, but the load is about the same under both scenarios.

Solution
I believe that you can use Task Manager, Resource Monitoring, and Performance Monitor to observe and quantify the load differences between CAM and RD.

I.e., more CPU activity perhaps with respect to RD versus CAM.

It does appear that you may have already done so (i.e., "but the load is about the same under both scenarios.") so take a closer look at what else may be going on.

Could be just a very small threshold of difference between the CAM CPU load and RD CPU load. Just enough to bump the temperatures.

And also consider the + or - error in the temperatures detected or reported. Or fan speed changes....

Or even some small flaw or bug in the software.

I believe that you can use Task Manager, Resource Monitoring, and Performance Monitor to observe and quantify the load differences between CAM and RD.

I.e., more CPU activity perhaps with respect to RD versus CAM.

It does appear that you may have already done so (i.e., "but the load is about the same under both scenarios.") so take a closer look at what else may be going on.

Could be just a very small threshold of difference between the CAM CPU load and RD CPU load. Just enough to bump the temperatures.

And also consider the + or - error in the temperatures detected or reported. Or fan speed changes....

Or even some small flaw or bug in the software.

Solution

CT_1107

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I shut down the CAM program and the spiking stopped. CAM was only around 1.5% CPU use according to the task manager, but apparently it was the cause of the problem. Using the hardware monitor program I do not see the spiking temps. Since I routinely access/administer the HTPC remotely, I will stick with using hardware monitor to keep an eye on things.