Obama Contemplating Three-Strikes Piracy Law

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What is in place now?

Don't we have some sort of two strike policy or something, where the first time your caught you only get a slap on the wrist?

I suppose that as long as you stay behind the "strike" curve you're fine. Obama adds one strike the next president adds another and so on.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
This'll never fly... The Democrats were wailing about Patriot Act provisions and at the very moment, Republicans are screaming about how the current administration's spending levels are "mortgaging our children's future"...

In order for this to become law, Congress would have to approve funding to set up ANOTHER executive bureaucracy just to either A) monitor and/or otherwise ensure ISPs are enforcing this law or B) monitor and/or track individual American's internet habits and put pressure on ISPs to drop "offending" individuals... Either way, it'd be a massive expense slathered with a metric ton of government intervention... Any Democrats concerned with "individual rights" or Republicans concerned with "fiscal responsibility" voting for such a monstrosity, will be going on record as bein' hypocrites of the highest caliber...

They're havin' enough trouble gettin' Healthcare reform through, I imagine something like this will die on the vine...

Unless of course.... Obama issues an Executive Order... Tricky...

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Well... this could be a plus even if you are a pirate. Right now if you are found to be pirating you go straight to court (assuming the recording industry draws your name out of a hat and takes action against you). With this new 3 strikes law, you would still have to be caught pirating as before but you get two warnings first. Unless you get the warning from the ISP and get taken to court by the music industry, hmmm....

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
As the administration has already finished providing healthcare laws that cater to the public, not the big insurance companies, and also has already solved the big budget deficit crisis, along with ending all the financial engineering that led us in this crap-shoot that we live in today, then off course they should direct their attention to this issue...

Oh, wait, none of the above has happened yet.

Just another attempt by big corp to mull some, and Ari's brother being at the White House is also very helpful. Talk about promoting own interests by using personal connections...
And yes, it will be put into law, because this administration has proven to be on corp's side all along.

Nothing new here.

TKolb13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
how about a ZERO Strike policy? I don't remember my momma telling me stealing was OK two times, but not the third! Really anyone found guilty once should be banned from the internet for life! :0)

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
The difference is "The Store" doesn't treat paying customers like shop lifters after they've made their purchase. "The store" also doesn't use tax payer money for their own security.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh, and to those that think they can just encrypt their way out of things; simply put, you can't. You can make it harder for them, but ultimately if they want to find you they can. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, they're just putting your ass on the line.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]Oh, and to those that think they can just encrypt their way out of things; simply put, you can't. You can make it harder for them, but ultimately if they want to find you they can. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, they're just putting your ass on the line.[/citation]

do u understand how much resources will go in to decrypting just 1 persons traffic, and even after that they still have nothing to prove it's you that was pirating (due to hackers). they will need a warrant to search ur hard drive and only then (if anything was found) is the pirate in trouble. (not to mention that all ur logs are protected by a private tracker overseas).

oh and remember u have to get caught 3 times now for anything to happen. u might as well get hit by lighting a few times then get caught from the above. and i'm going with lighting on this one.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
And how do they enforce this so called ban? By name, by address? Just by the ISP?

If its the ISP what prevents the person going with some other telephone company, if its by name does the wife or husband just move the internet into their name? If it is by address what happens when you move to somewhere where the internet has been blocked?

Seems to me that this is just another typical knee jerk reaction and not thought through, and how does this prevent pirates in China or India? (the largest downloads)The entertainment industry needs a good bitch slapping and being brought down to earth, people are sick of them making billions for essentially doing nothing, next they will want a royalty payment from me for singing a song in my head....

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
"It's a basic condition for investment
and economic growth and there should be the same level of property rights whether it's a house or a movie."

How about you dont invest then...

Anyway, that will push the idea of encrypting everything that pass by the ISP. SSH everything...

The industry will never learn, they created the whole torrent phenomenon by killing Napster. I hope things go from bad to worst for them.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I find it interesting that the movie industry is making record sales both in the box office and dvd/blu-ray yet they are still crying that piracy is "killing" them. This is just like state governments imposing new tax laws on internet sales so they can make more money. Things are getting ridiculous. People are still making record low incomes (if they are lucky enough to be making an income) and big corps, local governments, and even the feds just keep wanting to take more and more of what little we have. I am i no way condoning piracy, but honestly, I think these guys bring it on themselves. It is like when Ubisoft released these crazy DRM schemes for there new titles and their servers get slammed with a DDoS attack. It's just the consumers way of saying "you suck!". There... got my morning rant out.

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
[citation][nom]dacman61[/nom]How many times do I have to see the word "losing" incorrectly spelled?? It's not spelled "loosing"![/citation]
...Or waist instead of waste... not understanding when to use their, they're, or their.... rediculous instead of ridiculous...definately instead of definitely...existance instead of existence...ignorence instead of ignorance...

It bugs me because someone either too stupid or to lazy to learn to spell on a 3rd grade level expects me to take any comment they make seriously.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Umm .. So the federal government is waiving our constitutional right of due process regarding illegal search and seizure?

How are ISP's to know what data is in those packets unless they are monitoring them without probably cause?

This is just step one towards the government monitoring ALL of our internet activities. Mark my words, people.

Status
Not open for further replies.