Dec 30, 2018
So, I recently built my computer a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to record some gameplay on OBS to upload to a YouTube channel. Whenever I record however, my FPS slightly dips but I still get around 60-120 fps. Then, when I look at my recording, the quality is extremely grainy and there is frequent lag. I have optimized my settings to record at 1080p 60fps but later lowered it to 720p and experienced the same problem.
I then opened up task manager and looked at my CPU usage and it was reaching the 90%'s but dipping down to around 50% again. I'm trying to record Rainbow Six Siege and I have not installed drivers if that has anything to do with it.
My current specs are:

-NVIDIA 1060 6GB (Asus)
-16GB 3000mhz RAM
-Ryzen 1600
-cx450 Corsair PSU

I have a couple of thoughts on what could be causing these problems. The 1) is an under powered power supply (if that can even affect this), 2) My CPU just isn't good enough, 3) My system is air-cooled and I am using the stock Ryzen cooler, 4) I have really bad OBS settings.

PS: I have not overclocked any parts of my system.

Your comments and responses are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Solution

You shouldn't you should limit the game to 60FPS because otherwise the game goes wild on using cores and there is not enough left for the encoding,even if you had a better CPU.
Also put the recording to a high priority in OBS so you get a good stream even at the cost of a few FPS in-game.

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016

You shouldn't you should limit the game to 60FPS because otherwise the game goes wild on using cores and there is not enough left for the encoding,even if you had a better CPU.
Also put the recording to a high priority in OBS so you get a good stream even at the cost of a few FPS in-game.

Solution
Dec 30, 2018

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try it out.

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016

For better performance no.
For better protection if something is to go wrong (oversurge etc) I don't know,it's not a great quality PSU but it's not garbage either.