Office 2010 University - Should I install 32-bit or 64-bit version?

NickH88

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I'm running Windows 8 64-bit. Should I install the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version of Office 2010 University? According to the help menu during the installation, the 64-bit version is missing a few things (i.e. 3D pivot charts in Excel), and may have compatibility issues with other 32-bit software. Does anyone know more information about the latter; what other programs might I have compatibility issues with? What advantages would there be to installing the 64-bit version? Would it be faster?

Thanks!

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I run the 64-bit version of Office Pro on my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. I have no issues.

If you use any of the features that are missing from the 64-bit verison, then install the 32-bit one, but otherwise I would recomened 64-bit.

NickH88

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

As for the various things that are missing from the 64-bit version, the only ones that I might use would be the ActiveX controls and 3-D Pivot Charts in Excel. I never use any 3rd party plug-ins.

Is the 64-bit version of Excel only unable to create new controls using ActiveX, or will I be unable to use any controls in an existing spreadsheet that were made using ActiveX?

I am going to be having a .csv file (generated from a different program) that I would like to open in Excel and run filters on, and the file may be upwards of 300 GB (so I'm told). Will I need the 64-bit version in order to handle it? If not, will working with it (loading it, performing filters, etc.) be faster in the 64-bit version?

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
If Excel is optimised correctly, working with the large file size will be faster under the 64-bit edition. To answer your question, no you do not need the 64-bit version to work with it.

I don't use Excel that much so I can't tell you much about what features are missing. Spreadsheet files created with different programs will be openable, so that shouldn't be an issue.

NickH88

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
There's some info available here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx . The unavailability of 3-D PivotChart views in the 64-bit version of Excel is not mentioned in that link, but it is mentioned in the "Setup Help" menu during installation.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I use the 32 bit version on my win7 x64 just because it has more compatible addons and the fact that I don't work with large documents. Just because you have a 64 bit OS doesn't mean all your programs must be 64 bit.