Oh Fun: 2 Firefox Add-Ons Contain Trojans

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Bloatware Firefox has been going downhill for ages.[/citation]

I have to agree there. I haven't used Firefox since 2.0 days but I loved it. I just did a fresh install of XP about a week ago. My laptop was running fine and then I installed the latest FF to test it out. Since then, my laptop has been buggy. Locking up randomly, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Does it affects FF 3.6?
I run all my all internet browser in a safe run (sandbox or forcefield) environment. Much safer.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
"Mozilla's malware scan failed to detect Trojans found in to Firefox add-ons."

Shouldn't it be "...found in two (2) Firefox add-ons."? Just a thought.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
at least they fixed it quickly instead of doing it the M$ way and passing it on to the next engineering crew and hoping it'll be fixed in a service pack years later.

zerghumper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
@Chronicbint,

I agree that it isn't as good as it used to be, but to be honest I still think it's far superior to IE. Just out of curiosity, what browser do you use?

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Well it was only a matter of time until hackers realized that FF has big enough market share to warrant attention. I have recently switched to Opera and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Lets get this into perspective, these are two very marginal addons affecting 4,600 people. The IE6 problem affects many millions, I think this is almost a non story, any sensible Windows user will have their Anti-Virus up to date.

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Mozilla said that Master Filer was downloaded from the Mozilla Add-Ons website (AMO) around 600 times between September 2009 and January 2010. Version 4.0 of Sothink Web Video Downloader was downloaded around 4,000 times between February 2008 and May 2008.

crap. I bet this made a lot of damage.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
based on all the aricles that were written it seemed as if it would just a matter of time before something like this happened. Popularity does have a negative side to it.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Do remember that this was the fault of Mozilla's servers and not of the actual Firefox program itself.

I'm running FF 3.6 and love it.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Maybe it's time the market share needs to become more balanced and spread out. I have switched from IE8 to Safari and now Chrome. Mobilewise I use Opera Mobile (this comment comes from that browser). If the market share became more spread out, there would be no one particular browser attracting attention. Also, because of the increased competition, the companies will keep enhancing and securing their products to try and maintain a competitive edge.
I understand the market share won't suddenly change within a short space of time, but in the long run it would create a better browsing experience for all users.

G

They are also experimental add-ons, effectively betas. Anyone running beta software should be looking out for some sort of trouble.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
@zerghumper

I use chrome for general browsing, firefox and IE 6,7 and 8 for development work.

Firefox really is a slow behemoth these days.

Que zealots rating me down. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.