Status
Not open for further replies.

ant888rvlu

Great
Sep 5, 2018
Hi, would it be possible to connect a 3.5 mm jack with a rca audio/video cable to the ext ant port on my old crt t.v.? Can this be used to get cable on my old tv?

Solution
This picture
s-l1600.jpg
shows the adapter that it came with. It had a 300 ohm input to a two position 3.5mm jack. That adapter converted from 300 ohm flat antenna wire to the 3.5mm plug.

So my first link recommending an RF modulator is still correct. But an additional adapter to convert from standard coax to 3.5mm is required -- https://www.amazon.com/Female-Coaxial-Adapter-FM-Antenna/dp/B00BBYRDG8

kanewolf

Judicious

That is the purpose of an RF modulator. It creates a TV signal like would be delivered from a broadcast TV channel. The coax output of the RF modulator would go to the antenna port on the TV.

I wager it needs a RF analog input.

Just about everywhere, u didn't disclose where u are from, OTA (antenna) signals is been converted to digital, so for this to work, u will need an ATSC converter, and if the station(s) broadcast in HD (high definition) the image will look crap.

If u want hook up to your existing cable provider, look for a Video Out on the set-top box, then add a RF Modulator.

kanewolf

Judicious
This picture
s-l1600.jpg
shows the adapter that it came with. It had a 300 ohm input to a two position 3.5mm jack. That adapter converted from 300 ohm flat antenna wire to the 3.5mm plug.

So my first link recommending an RF modulator is still correct. But an additional adapter to convert from standard coax to 3.5mm is required -- https://www.amazon.com/Female-Coaxial-Adapter-FM-Antenna/dp/B00BBYRDG8

Solution

kanewolf

Judicious

Your original question asked about red/white/yellow RCA connectivity. If that is still your question, then NO you can't make an adapter. You have to convert the RCA signals to radio signals (what the RF modulator does). You can't make one of those.

kanewolf

Judicious

I don't know of an easy way to do so. I guess you could solder the center conductor to the middle of a 3.5mm plug and the shield to the other conductor. But soldering coax is difficult since you tend to melt the insulation around the center conductor. Is it possible. If you have good soldering skills, I suppose so. Or you could spend $3 on the correct adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.