One install location, dual booting?

battler624

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hey guys, i'm thinking about if there is a possible way to dual-boot Win7 and Win8 while retaining the same apps on both sides? i do not want to create multiple copies of the same app its just that i have some pretty big apps that i want on both Os's..

I have a 180GB SSD and do not want to get another.

The only thought i have of how to do this is by splitting the SSD partition into 3 different partitions one for apps the other two are for win8/7..

By simply installing Application A on windows 7 in the Apps partition then going to Windows 8 and re-installing the same app in the same location.

thats the best method i can think of, but i think its too much hassle "some apps take >30 minutes to install"

Solution
another option is to image the win7, then place it on the win8 partition and upgrade it to win8. That will move the registry and leave to application and such on the other drive

battler624

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, thats why i said installing Application A in windows 7, then Installing it again in Win8 "Overwriting the original files' thus saving storage, thats the only possible method i can think of, but once again its too much hassle.

corroded

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
another option is to image the win7, then place it on the win8 partition and upgrade it to win8. That will move the registry and leave to application and such on the other drive

Solution