One pro mic into 2 PCs via USB - How?

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I use a Win 7 64 PC running source connect, a Rode microphone, and a FocusRite 2i2 2nd Gen USB Preamp, so a remote studio can record voice over sound from here.

I now want to record a local broadcast quality recording here while also running source connect so the one mic needs to feed two PCs via 2 USB interfaces - I have not yet found a mic preamp with 2 USB outputs.

I am proposing to take the balanced Line output of the 2i2 preamp and feed that into another 2i2 and connect that via USB to a second PC that will record the sound locally. I have asked FocusRite about their balanced line out quality as in their FAQ it is designed for monitors and mixers so should be as good as the USB feed output.

I do have an analogue mixer but do not want to resort back to analogue, and do not want to buy a digital mixer due to cost and also as it will not have 2 USB outputs. Getting one broadcast quality mic into 2 PCs is the aim. ANY IDEAS??? One option is to use 2 mics but they may not be paired so using/mixing between the local and remote recording may reveal variances.

I am told if I had MAC I could record on the MAC AND connect to the remote studio via source connect but more expense to convert to MAC but I can see that coming down the line. Thanks for any advice.

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
To my delight I have found I can record locally on Vegas while also linking to a remote studio with Source Connect all on one PC. Has anyone advice on how to run two local recorders?

The current configuration is a Win 7 64 PC running Source Connect, a Rode mic with FocusRite 2i2 2nd Gen USB Preamp.

If I need to route the sound to another PC to record locally, what are your views if I get a second 2i2 for another PC and feed that from the balanced line out of the first 2i2?

I have an analogue mixer that I do not use anymore and I do not want to resort back to analogue, yet do not want to buy a digital mixer as it will not have 2 USB outputs so I will need a second USB interface if I use a second PC.

Or I use a second mic but they are not paired then using both sources IF ASKED in the final mix may cause issues.

TRENDING THREADS