Solved! Onkyo 7.2 surround sound shuts off in 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2018
I have a Onkyo receiver amplifier 7.2 surround sound. It stays on for two or three seconds and shuts itself off. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it? How can I troubleshoot it? Is it something that a handyman could fix it home?

Thank you very much
Larry Olson
Morlan Georgia

Solution
1. Disconnect all the speaker wires from the back of the receiver. Turn the receiver on.
2. If it stays on then one of the speaker wires was shorted or one of the speakers are bad. Reconnect them one at a time and turn the receiver on. When you connect the bad wire or speaker the receiver will shut down. If after you connect them all if the receiver now stays on then there was a short where the wires were connected to the receiver that you repaired when you replaced them.
3. If the receiver goes into protection with no speakers connected then disconnect all the inputs and other wires and try turning it on again. This isn't likely to make any difference. If the receiver continues to shut down then it has an internal problem that would...
1. Disconnect all the speaker wires from the back of the receiver. Turn the receiver on.
2. If it stays on then one of the speaker wires was shorted or one of the speakers are bad. Reconnect them one at a time and turn the receiver on. When you connect the bad wire or speaker the receiver will shut down. If after you connect them all if the receiver now stays on then there was a short where the wires were connected to the receiver that you repaired when you replaced them.
3. If the receiver goes into protection with no speakers connected then disconnect all the inputs and other wires and try turning it on again. This isn't likely to make any difference. If the receiver continues to shut down then it has an internal problem that would require a technician. Hope it's under warranty.

Solution
Nov 18, 2018
Thank you the theater has been set up for several years and functioned perfectly and the problem with the unit shutting off spontaneously mysteriously developed recently.

I followed your instructions, and one by one disconnected the wiring. I'm not sure what I did but it's working again!

Thanks 1, million
Larry Olson

Status
Not open for further replies.