Open Source PDF reader that can highlight text??

Beginner-Thw

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
I have Adobe Reader on a couple of Windows 8.x computers.

Just in case, as a “backup”, I'd like to install a free, open source, PDF reader that can highlight text.

Adobe Reader works well and highlights text.

SumatraPDF works well, but does not highlight text.

LibreOffice Draw cannot open PDFs ( dialogue-box says “General input/output error” ). I spent ages online, but I wasn't able to find a solution. Also, I cannot understand the relevant info on LibreOffice's website (For example, do I need to install an extension, to be able to open PDFs in LibreOffice?? I cannot find any such extension on LO's Extensions Page)

MuPDF opens PDFs, but does not highlight text. Its user-interface does not have a menu.

Okular is too complicated, for a beginner like me, because, to work on Windows, Okular requires KDE. Also, if I understood correctly, Okular is not yet compatible with Windows 8.x

PDF Split & Merge Basic does not open any of my PDFs. Also, it clashes with Microsoft EMET, and with Malwarebytes Free AntiExploit. I temporarily halted EMET and MAE, but Split & Merge is still unable to open PDFs.

Please bear in mind that I'm a beginner, so it could well be due to mistakes I make without realising it.

In advance, I thank you very much for your help.