Opened laptop to fix power switch. Now touch pad drivers are gone.

Cording_to

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I have a relatively new and high end Acer Aspire VN7-591G laptop.

I opened it up and fixed the power switch, after being careful to reconnect all the strips to the correct ports I closed it up (minus the screws) and tested it out. It turned on just as normal and all components seem to be working perfectly, a part from the mouse pad. There is no visible cursor and the drivers for the mouse pad are gone. I'm new to laptop repair but I'm guessing the connection between the mouse pad hardware and the motherboard is broken. Although I carefully reviewed the connection strip and the 8 metallic ends on each side of the strip appear fine. I noticed that about half of the strip has electric tape. (I got it pre-owned).

I've reconnected the strips twice and no luck, although I can plug in a mouse to use the laptop as normal.

What can I do to fix it? If I need a new connection strip, where can I find one?

Any ideas

mrjack2207

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
You sure you've clamped down the strip properly, this is why i hate acers, never have this issue with dells or lenovo's

Cording_to

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015

I reconnected it twice and every other strip/cable connected fine. That may be it, but doubtful. are these cables universal and cheap?

mrjack2207

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Pretty sure theyre dead cheap

mrjack2207

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Now that is something you wont know till you put the new one in