OpenGL 3.1 Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
who cares, opengl is dead, all the games i play use directx, they really blew it, once they were king, i remember 3dfx and id software games, ect all being directx, not no more...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]who cares, opengl is dead, all the games i play use directx, they really blew it, once they were king, i remember 3dfx and id software games, ect all being directx, not no more...[/citation]OpenGL is used in most OSes that are non-Windows. There are a lot of trade-offs between both. 3dfx supported OpenGL but mostly promoted Glide.

G

As a graphics developer who has used both DirectX and OpenGL professionally, I have no desire to (ever) write a game using OpenGL. As of DirectX 10, the D3D API is many times easier to use and debug. The only benefit of OpenGL is that it's cross platform, but anyone who's spent any time writing cross platform OpenGL code knows that you'll still spend hours debugging it on each platform, as each platform interprets the spec in slightly different ways. It's a mess.

G

I just hope that game developers start using (again) OpenGL, right now i'm using windows for my games; wonder what would happen to windows if one just one big company says that it will start to develop their games for other operating systems that support OGL instead of Direct3D. Gladly would change to GNU/Linux for example (i've been able to run some OpenGL games like Doom3, using Wine though), but certainly some beautiful games are written in D3D (Crysis, love it!). I'll finish saying that i support completely OpenGL, that in my humble point of view is being motivated by pure good evolution, not money.

Status
Not open for further replies.