Opinion on my choice of asus laptop

luks104

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So I'm on college and I realised that I need a laptop, because I can't bring my desktop home every weekend. I went with a Asus K550VX-DM027D, priced at 950 € (1017 US $) with the following specs:
i7-6700hq
Nvidia 950M 4GB
16 GB ram
SSD with 256 GB of storage (thinking of an external hard drive as I have most of my files on my desktop anyway)
I'll be using it for internet surfing, youtube, occasional gaming, word/excel/...
So I want your opinion. I live in Slovenia, so the prices are higher than in the USA for example

Solution

It certainly looks like a great bargain, especially with a 256GB SSD and a 4GB 950M. What's the screen like? I read that it comes with a TN panel. If that panel is anything like the one that came with my Lenovo...

It certainly looks like a great bargain, especially with a 256GB SSD and a 4GB 950M. What's the screen like? I read that it comes with a TN panel. If that panel is anything like the one that came with my Lenovo Y50, you really should consider upgrading/replacing it with an IPS panel. Other than that, a fine deal for a college student.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

luks104

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for your response. It's a 1080p TN panel unfortunately, but it doesn't bother me that much. I have a 6 year old samsung LCD monitor on my desktop rig, which imho still looks great, even though it's a TN one.

Well, if you use an external monitor, it doesn't really matter. Once you've settled in a chair in front of your TN monitor, you're unlikely to move about that much. So the reduced viewing angles are less noticeable. On a mobile device, however, viewing angles are rather important - just look at your smartphone. And, finally, TN monitors are generally preferred by hard-core gamers because of the low response time, 1 - 2 ms.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

luks104

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

You've got a point, but I think that I'm gonna be satisfied with the TN. My sister's laptop has the same technology as my future laptop, and for me it's gonna be enough. We'll see when I get it on friday :D.
You said that you changed the screen? What was the procedure and cost? Did you do it on your own or did you get a professional to do it?
Regards

About screen replacement: I first watched a couple of YouTube videos that demonstrated in detail how it is done. The key is patience and a steady hand. Next I checked the precise specifications of my Lenovo and searched eBay for replacement panels. I found a seller in UK and got a Y50 IPS panel for about £35. The difference was (and still is) staggering! It was like getting a brand-new laptop.

I don't know how upgradable your laptop is in this respect, but you shouldn't be scared off. It took me about 30 minutes.

Cheers.

luks104

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So I got the laptop and I must say that I'm very satisfied with it. The TN panel is fine, it suffices my needs, as well as the hardware.
Thanks for the advices, maybe sometime in the future I will get my hands on an IPS panel and replace it.
Cheers.