Opinions on what Open Back headphones to use for gaming

Dec 27, 2018
This is my first thread so please forgive any mistakes in etiquette I make.
I'm considering buying a set of open back headphones to use for both music and gaming along with an external mic (fifine mic on amazon, a blue snowball, or modmic business).My history of gaming headsets has been: Corsair Void Pro, then Astro a50, then the Sennheiser game One. I realized that I enjoy the open back experience but feel like the Game ones were lacking when I used them for music.

The headphones will be used at a desktop when used for music, and on both desktop AND ps4 for gaming. My options and prices are as follows in CAD:

Audio Technica AD700x ($100)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro ($150)
Sennheiser HD6XX ($230)
Sennheiser HD598 Cs I know they are closed back but like the sound ($80)
Stick with my Game One

I realize that some of these will need a DAC and am considering a sub $70 CAD DAC.

Please provide your opinions or recommendations at this budget along with why, the HD6xx are slightly over budget but I feel they may be worth it.
Also, the games I play are: open worlds like the witcher and red dead, and then online gameplay on fortnite(need directional sound), and CS GO.
Thank you.

D

Deleted member 217926

None of the above. I'd get the HD599. Same comfort and driver as the 598 but retuned with a bit better bass. I've had the old ivory HD598s for almost 8 years and I still use them for gaming. They're about ready for their second set of replacement pads.

The HD6XX is 'better' but for music I only like my HD650s as well as my HD600s when they're hooked to a relatively expensive amp and DAC and even then I mostly like the HD600 better except with certain stuff. You can game with the 650/6XX but they're a little laid back. The 599 will be more comfortable ( much lighter and less clamp ), more exciting, have better soundstage and they require less of an investment in an amp/DAC chain.

Some people love the DT990s but they hurt my ears. Way too bright. I don't have any experience with the Audio Techicas.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORNc3QQ9mc"][/video]