Optical audio output to Digital USB input?

Rich_Advice

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Is there an adapter for Digital TV audio optical output to USB input of OPPO Blu-Ray player? The OPPO players have analog audio out jacks plus remotes with volume controls and an input switch that enable them to take the place of surround sound processors. I'd run my TV audio into one, and my Roku box into it's HDMI, connect the OPPO direct to a power amp and save the cost of a preamp/processor. I'm using broadcast TV, not cable.

Solution
Well looks like there's no such adapter, so buying an Oppo 105 or upcoming 205 model is the way to go for me. I just connected my Oppo 93 directly to my power amp and used it as a preamp. Took my Integra DHC-40.1 out of the signal path. The Oppo has speaker configuration, distance and volume trim settings, but no room equalization function like the Integra. The sound is even more clean and detailed, but I imagine the 105 or 205 will have better analog circuits to drive my amp, so I'm thinking I should try to go that route.

Rich_Advice

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I found an adapter that goes in the other direction, this is from USB to optical (https://shop.turtlebeach.com/us/audio-advantage-micro-ii). It uses drivers to work.
So I'd guess its possible to build what I'm looking for, but apparently not much of a market for it.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

None of my Oppo blu Ray players have an HDMI input. Oppo does have a nice USB input, but it has very strict limitations. You can NOT hook up a device to the USB input such as an MP3 player, an iPod or any streaming device. The only thing that you can hook up to the USB port is a small storage device that is MBR partitioned and NTSF formatted, and can not be larger than 1 terabyte. That is the only thing that can be hooked up to an Oppo player. My collection of Oppo players include;

83 Special Edition
BDP-95
BDP-105 Darbee

They are fine players but that is all they are.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

What model Oppo do you have? Have you read the instruction manual?

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
I am a real big Oppo nerd and I am going to be buying the new 4k Oppo to add to my collection, but it is important to know that you can not use an Oppo as a streaming device or a pre-amplifier.

What model do you have?

Rich_Advice

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks for you reply. I just looked online at the 105 manual and I see the HDMI input right next to the LAN connection and there's also an optical input connection that isn't on my 93 or 103. So I'm looking for a 105 now or maybe a new 205?

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
I am so sorry, I also see that on the 105. I do not own a 205, but I will see if I can experiment with the 105 and see if there is enough "gain" to act as a pre-amp. Maybe this idea of yours might work after all.

Rich_Advice

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Well looks like there's no such adapter, so buying an Oppo 105 or upcoming 205 model is the way to go for me. I just connected my Oppo 93 directly to my power amp and used it as a preamp. Took my Integra DHC-40.1 out of the signal path. The Oppo has speaker configuration, distance and volume trim settings, but no room equalization function like the Integra. The sound is even more clean and detailed, but I imagine the 105 or 205 will have better analog circuits to drive my amp, so I'm thinking I should try to go that route.

Solution