optical cable from tv to reciever only plays on 2 main speakers

NoizyBoyStatic

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I have a Sony STR-DE945 receiver a Samsung UN55ES7003F tv im using an optical cable and I only have Front main speakers playing no sub woofer or center
and I want to start by saying I only Watch HD channels on my Samsung DVR SMT-H3270 which is fully Dolby digital compatible Ive been on the phone with sony 3 times and they have been no help first they told me I needed to sent it in to be serviced then I got it working with the 2 speakers by playing with the input button. The second time I contacted them he told me that optical cables don't support surround sound what a bunch of idiots. I know its just some stupid setting I am missing can any one please help

NoizyBoyStatic

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
Just so every on knows there was a set up button that allowed me to individual turn on rear, center, sub woofer. Sony support is terrible I fixed it on my own I knew it was some stupid setting that's what I told the Sony people and the wouldn't listen, they wanted me to have it serviced, then told me optical cables don't support surround sound go Sony know your stuff

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
I'm not familiar with your tv and receiver, but on my setup I have the option to output audio as pcm or Dolby digital. One would output as 2 channel and the other would output as 5.1 Dolby. Check your tv's audio output settings for something similar.