Optimize 4K, h265 playback on really low end tablet

Dashton Peccia

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
I may be asking the impossible, but I am trying to play a 10bit h265 4k .mkv video on my laptop (using k-lite with MPC-HC) and I am getting terrible performance. This laptop is very low-end, Intel m3 6y30 processor with the associated integrated graphics chip. As long as I can get it to play at 24fps, that would be fine. When I try to play the file however, it runs at 24fps for about 4-5 seconds and then suddenly freezes for a split second, losing audio as well for about 1-2 seconds. Is there any way for me to get this file running any better (lowering quality, or other settings)? I was thinking about down-scaling to 1080p, but that may take forever on this computer. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Dashton Peccia

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Okay, I tried to play another one of my files that is h265 10bit 4k, also .mkv, and it was playing perfectly fine. Now I am starting to think that the file is corrupted.

bigpinkdragon286

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Why not convert the video to the native format of the end device? If your screen isn't 4k in resolution and support 10-bit color depth, all of that extra detail is wasted overhead that the under powered machine has to deal with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Apps General Discussion 1
NDDU Julius BSIT Apps General Discussion 2
0 Apps General Discussion 1
johnbil Apps General Discussion 6
C Apps General Discussion 4
J Apps General Discussion 4
Z Apps General Discussion 2
Stevo97 Apps General Discussion 1
clutchc Apps General Discussion 1
S Apps General Discussion 3
T Apps General Discussion 1