Optimizing blu-ray settings for 720p Plasma tv??

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hey guys, so I'm not very keen on TV display technology, more of a PC enthusiast. So I'm really hoping you can offer some valuable insight!

I have an Insignia 50" plasma that is "720p" but actually supports something a bit higher as you TV peeps would understand, I can't remember the exact numbers but its between 720 and 1080i, closer to 720 I imagine. Anyway...

Got my Sony BDP-S590 player last night and I'm having problems tweaking the display settings. Most scenes look great but sometimes I get a grainy fuzziness around light sources and on human skin. Settings questions:

I can feed in 1080p, 1080i, and 720p signals. Obviously it'll downscale for the 1080, but would it look better? Or is that too much work for the TV?

The player by default thinks my tv is 46" which I can change to whatever I want, would this affect much?

Ycbcr444 or 422??

Bd-Rom 24p output (auto, on, off)

Cinema conversion mode (auto, video)

There's also a Deep Color Conversion setting(off, 10, 12, 16 bit). I'm hesitant to set everything to Auto because it didn't even get my tv size right.

I'm partially color blind so this is difficult for me to do on my own, but I want it to look good for when I have company.

Thanks for any help guys, appreciate it!

Solution
I would set your blu ray to output to 1080p (it's native resolution) that way you're not down converting to 720p from your bu ray and then reconverting to whatever resolution your tv is (most likely 1024x768). The less converting in the chain the better.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
In your case there would be no difference playing in 720p/1080i/1080p. The max resolution you can display is 1280x720 (720p), so anything higher than that and it's overkill. To your TV there is no difference, and would not cause for it to "work" harder if it were at a higher resolution.

If you're TV is 50", go ahead and set your player to 50". For your color, go with 4:2:2, as 4:4:4 is usually considered overkill and not worth the extra bandwidth since our eyes are more sensitive to color than to light. For your deep color setting, go with 16-bit.

And as for the 24p, if you want more of a cinema look, enable it. Otherwise you'll be running at 30p, which is slightly more beneficial for action/sports.

makinbiscuits

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I would set your blu ray to output to 1080p (it's native resolution) that way you're not down converting to 720p from your bu ray and then reconverting to whatever resolution your tv is (most likely 1024x768). The less converting in the chain the better.

Solution

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Both of these answers are great, so no offense with the 'Best Answer' selection thingy.

I do agree with getting rid of the double converting steps in the chain, I did not think about it in that way and it's probably why I actually have to wait sometimes for the next chapter to load in the disc. The 4:2:2 option is also noteworthy, another reason why my TV seems to be struggling. And yes, it really is struggling. My friend has the same player now and his 1080p Plasma has no loading delays.

Thanks guys!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
If you have the blu-ray player set at 1080p, the TV will have to convert the feed to the resolution of the TV. The feed is 1080p and the TV is 720p, so why would you think there wouldn't be a conversion?

The only time it might be beneficial to have the player set at 1080p is if your TV is at a higher resolution 720p (1366x768 instead of 1280x720), but even then it's negligible to the average eye (roughly an 8-10% difference).

If you're actually getting lag and delays in the feed, which you didn't mention in your OP, I would check the quality of the cable and possibly look into getting one with a higher bandwidth, or getting a shorter cable if the length is close to or over 50ft (though I doubt it is, but I don't know).

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

You're right I didn't mention the loading delay but it only happens when first starting the movie, it's just a lot faster on said friends setup. I'll live. But I did mention my tv was > 720p :)