tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I just got a 120GB SSD and would like to know if I can transfer the D:/ Recovery partition that is on my OEM HDD to the SSD using an external HDD so as to boot to it when I install the new drive. I have an HP desktop with Win7x64 Hm Prem. Also I made a system image/backup on the external HDD and I did not make any DVD-R disks. I do have the factory disks but would rather not install all of the bloatware associated with it so I guess my question is can I do a minimum install which I think consists of 4 items: OS, HP Support, WLAN driver and another for the life of me can't remember. I would appreciate any and all advice.
Sam~

Solution
I will keep that in software mind for the future.

Thanks.

It was more easy for me since I was starting with a multi drive system, so windows and programs went to my SSD and files never had to move.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I think the HP recovery comes filled with all the crap you do not want.

I would recommend you just get the drivers from the HP site and burn them to a cd/dvd or place then on a flash drive.

Then get an image of windows here(burn it to a DVD or set it up on a flash drive) and do a clean install to the SSD.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Please keep the hard drive unplugged while doing this as Windows will use another boot partition if it sees one(so it may add it self to the hard drives system reserved partition).

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Thanks nukem, what I ended up doing was going to Paragon and got their cleverbridge utiltiy and transferred over what I wanted and left all the other stuff on the OEM HDD. It was a lot more painless and hassle free. It even formats and partitions the SSD before transferring data resets the drive to C:/ and reset the old C:/ to F:/ changed the boot order in BIOS and changed my desk icons to reflect F: and was back in business in no time.

Definitely will do the driver backup and I do have a system image on an external HDD. Thanks again for your timely response.
Sam~

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
It's a paid ($19.95) utility that transfers your OS and chosen drivers and System files and what not over to the SSD with no fuss and no muss, actually it was worth the twenty bucks as it was a digital download plus it gives you another utility that backs up you basic OS to a flash drive if something goes bad with a dog gone good customer service department...also it's a German gmbh so it's very intuitive. The only thing a user has to do really is change the boot order in BIOS.