Outlook 2007 question

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014
I installed windows 10 on a seperate partition due to the main one becoming unbootable. I tried everything under the sun to get it to work and no luck. Anyways i reinstalled outlook 2007 and was wondering the best way to copy over the data. I can still access the other partition and get to the PST files. My main question is what is the proper order to do things. Do i set up an account then import the PST file or just open outlook and import the main PST and everything will magically be there. This PC had out outlook pulling from gmail and not sure where else. Will all that info transfer over or have to manually be set up?

Thanks

Solution
You should look for at least two .PST files on the old installation:
- one where current (up to the moment that installation was operational) items are stored
- "archive.pst" where Outlook "auto-archives" old items from primary repository

What I would do:
- setup Outlook on new installation so that it can send / receive emails. Make sure do disable "Auto-delete" on POP3 accounts;
- copy (not move) the .PST files from old installation into MyDocuments folder of the current installation
- add primary .PST file, and then set Outlook to use it as a primary delivery place. Move items from default .PST file which may have been downloaded, then delete that default PST

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014
It is not my pc and i know the guy was most worried about the archives. I did see an archive.pst so i assume those are emails he had archived. Do i just import that as well. I also think his wife had an account and just wondering how the contacts worked exactly

You should look for at least two .PST files on the old installation:
- one where current (up to the moment that installation was operational) items are stored
- "archive.pst" where Outlook "auto-archives" old items from primary repository

What I would do:
- setup Outlook on new installation so that it can send / receive emails. Make sure do disable "Auto-delete" on POP3 accounts;
- copy (not move) the .PST files from old installation into MyDocuments folder of the current installation
- add primary .PST file, and then set Outlook to use it as a primary delivery place. Move items from default .PST file which may have been downloaded, then delete that default PST

Solution