Ouya Devs Deny Seeking Alternative Sources of Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Prob. should read "not seeking additional funding outside of Kickstarter" & "at this time" !
If the product is successful and volume sales take off more funding will naturally be needed unles the profit margin is so high that self funding would be an option.

G

Uh, even if they were looking for funds out side of kick starter what does that matter to us? Sure we paid for them to develop a console but we didn't really, we just gave them a kickstart so they can make something to get the real investors interested.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Honestly seems like a major waste of time, effort, and cash. If you're looking for low-level gaming, get a PS2/Xbox 1 for $40. It'll give you access to hundreds of quality games that cost a few bucks. Hell run an NES/SNES/N64/PS1/GBA emulator on your PC.

Sorry but this is my opinion. It'll seem like a good idea to some but I don't see the value. They're trying to fill a need which doesn't exist.

Hell Xbox 360 was near the $99 mark plenty of times when it went on sale for $129.99. Tons of quality games can be found and had for under $10. Who does this cater to?

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
And I know people get turned on as soon as they hear open source, but they're forgetting one major problem that this thing is bringing. F2P with micro-transactions. The worst conception ever to plague gaming.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
aftcomet, all those systems you mentioned come with one major liability, producer licensing. In order for software company A to produce a game for Platform B they must first enter into a licensing agreement with the owner of platform B. That owner will demand their own cut from software sales and will restrict the development options of company A. Those licensing agreements act as both shackles for big developers and as a barrier to entry for smaller developers. There are communities for "Home brew" applications on all the modern consoles.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]aftcomet, all those systems you mentioned come with one major liability, producer licensing. In order for software company A to produce a game for Platform B they must first enter into a licensing agreement with the owner of platform B. That owner will demand their own cut from software sales and will restrict the development options of company A. Those licensing agreements act as both shackles for big developers and as a barrier to entry for smaller developers. There are communities for "Home brew" applications on all the modern consoles.[/citation]
Umm, as far as I know XBox Arcade takes the same cut as Ouya Store.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]retdgfse[/nom]Uh, even if they were looking for funds out side of kick starter what does that matter to us? Sure we paid for them to develop a console but we didn't really, we just gave them a kickstart so they can make something to get the real investors interested.[/citation]

Thing is with many investor's they want some guarantees and that the company listen to the stock holders when they make demands. If they were to screen each investor, keep Ouya a private company, and laid down legal ground rules and background of their direction. They'd have to let Ouya do its own thing and not have to meet artificial quota's or hit a certain percentage of growth to please outside people. Meaning you have to find investors that are gamer's, people from the tech industry or private enthusiasts.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
only time will tell how this will turn out. if devs get some love to the console and get a good community countless good games could come and also the complete opposite is true. its a Tegra 3 setup so 1080p 2d Mario like games Contra etc is always nice. beside its a good educational and kinda cheap toy for lots of ppl to get.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Honestly seems like a major waste of time, effort, and cash....[/citation]

But those don't say Android!

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I can see a use for this "console" however I hope they aren't selling it at a loss because as a hackable android device its going to get a lot of use as a streaming, emulator etc. generally something that wouldn't make the manufacturers money.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Honestly seems like a major waste of time, effort, and cash. If you're looking for low-level gaming, get a PS2/Xbox 1 for $40. It'll give you access to hundreds of quality games that cost a few bucks. Hell run an NES/SNES/N64/PS1/GBA emulator on your PC. Sorry but this is my opinion. It'll seem like a good idea to some but I don't see the value. They're trying to fill a need which doesn't exist.Hell Xbox 360 was near the $99 mark plenty of times when it went on sale for $129.99. Tons of quality games can be found and had for under $10. Who does this cater to?[/citation] That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Even if it's a niche market, there is a market. Unless you're thinking the gaming market should be oligopolistic.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I feel a whole lot of meh about this.

OnLive has come a long way, and it has even farther to go to be a competent "cloud" gaming alternative to contemporary console and PC gaming platforms, but it's so much more viable than introducing a low-level "android" based console to the mix. I'd invest in cloud gaming before I'd invest in yet another console developer (but for the moment I wouldn't invest in either).

Status
Not open for further replies.