Over heating CPU on a laptop(recently changed fan)

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hello, I have a laptop that was looked at and they told me that i need a new fan, okay i got a new fan installed it andd i stil have the same issue of my cpu over heating and going to 84 celsius then the laptop shutsdown. I have used new thermalpaste called artic silver 5 and they both over heat seems like it. I will admit i had taken out the processor before but placed it back. I tried putting a lot of paste then i tried a little same issue. So with a closer examination I noticed that my original fan says dc5v 0.24A and the new fan says dc5v 0.28A. is there a difference? Also mine says Rev. A01 the new one says Rev. A00.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
.04 amps might tickle you. Not much more.

I guess people do not understand how tightly parts are placed into a laptop. They were never intended to be these powerful gaming machines, but so many people want to use them that way. The problem is that as people game on them, there is very limited cooling. And heat is a computers worst enemy. There is no room for bigger fans. So the heat accumulates when gaming. If the laptop is sitting on your lap, you would notice the huge amount of heat trying to escape. Some people have been burned by that.

So all I can tell you is to consider getting a desktop computer. They have room for fans that can cool the CPU easily, and push the warm air out the back of the computer to keep everything cool.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
If the fan is working, and the dust has been blown out so what little cooling there is can do its job, and you have properly redone the thermal paste on the CPU, I am out of ideas. Sorry.

Hopefully someone else will come with more experience on laptops.

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
well see it thought it was because the fan was at 0.28A instead of 0.24A which is what i thought could be the issue, i put the old fan in same thing except this time speccy said that the mobo is overheating.

Yes i can hear the fan.