Overwhelmed with building home stereo system

May 14, 2018
I have been trying to research different receivers and amplifiers so I can build my own home stereo system, I want to use a pair of Q-POWER subs that are brand new. They are 600 RMS @4 ohms. This is a DIY project and I am completely lost. Can someone please offer some advice on what receiver and amplifier I should be looking at. I have to keep this on a budget, but not cheap. If you can understand my situation?? Thank you for any information you can provide. -Daniel..

Solution
You have decide on the complete speaker design before you have any idea what amp can power them. You will need to chose midrange and tweeters that will work with the woofers you have. You may want more than one amp and will need passive and maybe active crossovers too.
I would suggest you take a look at the parts-express website. They sell a wide variety of raw speakers and have a forum for speaker builders that can be a useful resource.
Have fun but be aware that it's not a simple project even if the woodworking side of it is comfortable for you.

davidgirgis

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Daniel,

There are lots of options out there for a good stereo system. Think different.

Why subs? Do you have to have sub-woofers? Have you checked out AVS Forum? Is this for a car? What kind of setup are thinking as far as listening environment/listening room?

Klipsch R-15PM are powered, which means, they don't need an amplifier/receiver. They accept a bunch of inputs, including connecting to your phone using Bluetooth.

There are so many options, oh my gosh...
for a while there, I had a pair of Dynaudio BM5A MK II, which are studio monitors that cost about $800 at the time.
I connected them to my audio interface, which in turn was connected to a blu-ray player, PC, TV, and other things.
I could also plug in my headphones to the audio interface, which was a Mackie Onyx 1640.
This setup is more for Pro Audio work.

The Klipsch speakers above are good content consumption speakers.

Why not a simple Yamaha or Denon receiver with a pair of good stereo non-powered speakers like ELAC or KEF (Credit: Wirecutter)
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 for $300
or
KEF Q150 for $550
KEF Q350 for $650

Maybe you can find a new receiver on sale from 2016 or 2017...probably just as good as the 2018 models.

What is your budget?

May 14, 2018

My budget changes day to day. Lol. I am trying to build the entire speaker cabinets completely from scratch. I have seen allot of very beautiful cabinets and don't want anything that looks like something that someone else has. I got the subs for a very good price so I want to make use of them in conjunction with other smaller raw speakers. I just have to keep it at 4 ohms. That's my issue, finding the right receiver and amplifier for the job. I may be going about this backwards, but like I said, I am very overwhelmed with all the different options. If you have any ideas, please feel free to send as much info as possible. Thank you for your help and advice. - Daniel

You have decide on the complete speaker design before you have any idea what amp can power them. You will need to chose midrange and tweeters that will work with the woofers you have. You may want more than one amp and will need passive and maybe active crossovers too.
I would suggest you take a look at the parts-express website. They sell a wide variety of raw speakers and have a forum for speaker builders that can be a useful resource.
Have fun but be aware that it's not a simple project even if the woodworking side of it is comfortable for you.

Solution
May 14, 2018
Thank you for your input, I am actually having a good time doing this. It is all very confusing at times but I am learning more every day. I have a very powerful system that is LG. It's for home theater and home stereo, the 2 speakers that I already have are fantastic. I am going to use the receiver to begin with. It's a 1000 watt @3 ohm load. So I am going to wire my subs down to 4 ohms and go from there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your time and help. Have a great evening. -DANIEL..