J4ynik

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hi guys,
I wanted to build a Laptop myself. I searched all the necessary components, but now I have the problem, that I don't know how to make the Laptop mobile. means I don't know how to build or where to buy a battery for it.
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious
That graphics card, even if it were able to plug into that motherboard, is worse than useless. The integrated graphics on any current CPU is far, far better.

So basically, you're making a semi-portable desktop. Your battery power requirements will be...interesting.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Use car batteries and a pico-psu.

http://www.mini-box.com/PicoPSU-120-WI-25-12-25V-DC-DC-ATX-power-supply 120 watts(and it will regulate the over 12 volts from a car battery down to 12 while the other pico psu's just pass it on)

If you need more, Check out the website for some of the other options.

You will need to charge them overnight.

Now for the recommendation.
Get a newer cpu(Pentium Dual cores, even the later ones are not that power efficient) on an mITX(if you do not need all the expansion slots) board since they take MUCH less power(Power is a factor in a portable system for sure.).

mITX boards are also much smaller making the most of your space.

If playing with power supplies does not sound like it is for you, You may wish to get a quality sinewave inverter(converts 12[or other voltages if designed for it] volt battery[DC] power to 120/240 volts AC) and run it all off a normal 120/240 volt power supply, but this will cost more and waste more power and space.

Is this for work? are you making cart computer?

J4ynik

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
No, I just like building PC and overclock and build own towers and so on. And now I just wanted to try it out...
And I have no clue what you mean with cart computer...sry

USAFRet

Illustrious

Something wheeled around on a cart, because you won't be able to carry it. You'll need a battery the size of a car battery to get any reasonable time usage out of it.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Some businesses have as USAFRet says, a computer/monitor/printer/bar code scanner on a cart so they can move it around and leave it unplugged(not always a plug around).

This allows anything from inventory systems/warehouse management to retail sales floor work to be done without the wires or needing to find power.

They actually DO need a rather large battery(or battery bank) to get a days work done.

I think it has just gone over budget...my bad.

You won't build a laptop with that, none of those parts are for a laptop. Maybe you just mean a small computer with external power source. Will basically be a PC with a large UPS on it for power. Check here for some UPS options, you'd want a pretty big one to run a computer for more than 15-20 minutes. http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

TRENDING THREADS