Palm Ditches Windows Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sped

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Good for Palm. I had Palm devices for years until they fell on hard times and I bought a Windows Mobile PDA. The frustrations of Windows Mobile make be long for another Palm.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Not sure why Palm would pay Microsoft to use Windows Mobile when they have developed their own phone OS.

Made sense before WebOS (and even before Android), but with in-house or free alternatives, not much reason to stick with proprietary Microsoft. (Yeah WebOS is proprietary, but at least Palm owns it).

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Well, good, maybe Microsoft will make their own phones and step away from "we're a software company." If WinMo 7 is any where near as good as it's hyped up to be, maybe it's wise for Microsoft to take control of even the hardware aspect. (Maybe they should put a light ring like the one in front of the X360 on the phone somewhere just to be funny.)

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I do like the webOS that the Pre has however I do like the familiarity of the WinMo platform. I would like to see the Zune HD turned into a phone by next year. I think it would be a great competition for Blackberry, Google, and Apple.

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I would also like to see Windows make a phone using the Zune HD technology and integrate into a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone of their own. I've always felt that WinMo has gotten heat for being a poor quality OS, but I feel that it's the carriers fault or phones creator for sabotaging a decent OS by putting a bunch of junk on the phone that ties up memory and speed. I think that's why there such a great community built around cooking roms and tweaking phones. When I first got my HTC Touch Pro I liked it, but I thought it ran slower than it should have. After getting a cooked WinMo 6.5 rom I loved the phone. Not because of the interface, but because all of the AT&T java trash and unnecessary software was off of it. The phone ran faster, the accelerometer responded quicker, programs started faster, and the phone booted to the today screen faster.

G

I'd think it would be good so Windows will perhaps start to invest in a Palm/netbook OS!
Windows 7 tries to be too many things at the same time!

Windows should create an ultra light Os for these devices, and if it works on a desktop, you bet you, I'll be the first to buy it!

Despite the many advances in 7, I still see no real benefit over XP. My battery life still suffers in 7 compared to XP, and the response is still slower on slow laptops than with XP.
No reasons to do the switch I find.
I just hope Ms will get off their a$$e$, and finally build something good and cheap for those netbooks (and PDA's/cellphones)!

MotionMan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
After two years of relying on Windows Mobile I consider it to be a worse than mediocre offering. Things that would be simple on Windows XP were beyond convoluted on Windows Mobile (version 5, version 6, etc.)Microsoft makes a lot of decent to good products - Windows Mobile isn't one of them.

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
ahhh, i call bs on all the people who say winmo isn't a good platform. it does everything and more. you want a pretty gui, you can get one, you want software, there's tons. a good browser, check out skyfire, i'm not just a fanboi.....it's the truth. winmo out the bax can be a lackluster experience but throw a few apps at it and it can be great.

Palm does make sense ditching winmo though, if they have their own OS why pay MS? just makes good business sense imho

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I personally like the windows mobile platform. i just got the htc touch pro 2 and have to say that the skinning job they did on it shows how far companies can go for balancing out looks and performance. plus the messaging system on this phone is really cool. although it is understandable why palm has decided to move away from WinMo, and i had an old palm from 2003 there OS was great then which made no sense why they even moved to WinMO in the first place. moving back to there own OS would make them unique again and that's what a lot of people want.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
With Microsoft struggling to regain support for Windows Mobile in the highly competitive mobile landscape I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually did enter the hardware business. They pushed their partners aside and launched the Zune. They have the Xbox hardware business as well, and are also one of the largest peripheral companies.

If Microsoft made their own Windows Phone (as their branding strategies have pointed out) would you buy it? They would have to have a VERY compelling argument to sway users.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]naterandrews[/nom]If Microsoft made their own Windows Phone (as their branding strategies have pointed out) would you buy it? They would have to have a VERY compelling argument to sway users.[/citation]
If I did it wouldn't be until SP 1 at least!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i love the Palm Centro Pro with winmo 6... very nice fone and i prefer the ease of getting our users connected to exchange with it.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I just hated the choppyness of my winmo phone, hopefully 6.5 or newer version of the OS will fix this problem. Otherwise, I'll also give up hope on winmo phones and switch to something sleeker like the android or the htc sense platform.

texas-saluki

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I still stand behind until they get a 3GPP phone (UMTS) Palm is going to have financial troubles... who in their right mind would transfer to a CDMA network with no global roaming options... maybe someone that does not travel but that is not anyone in business. But not releasing any new Windows Mobile devices makes complete sense...they have their own, my pay someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.