Panasonic DVRs with Blu-ray Recorder, VHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
nice... about time they come out with something like this... if for nothing else to help support the seniors amongst us and their VHS collections...

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Nobody DOES by VHS anymore - but that doesn't mean there aren't millions upon millions of VHS tapes still floating around out there in homes who haven't the means or the inclination to re-buy their entire library due to format upgrades (not to mention old home movies). This is the perfect solution, allowing those with legacy VHS libraries to transcode their VHS to Blue-ray (provided this actually allows for that) without complicated equipment and PC software.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Is it possible to put low res content on a standard blu-ray disc? If so, this would be very handy for someone looking to digitize all those aging analog VHS home movies, considering one disc should hold about 50 hours of video at standard quality.

ubertiger

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
"Blu-yay writng"?

WTF kind of copy and paste journalism is that? Spell check has been around for God knows how long now /facepalm. Get your act together Tom's.

G

those that are still using VHS because they have not been willing to pony up for DVD... will NOT buy this, it will be too expensive. Blueray has a limited life. There will always be a place for disks and the convience of them... but digital downloads will trump physical media in the near future, if it hasn't already.

and who knows what "blue yay" is? anyone?

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
LOL @ the misspell in the title. Just WOW!!

On topic - how about they make blank blue ray discs less than $10 and get the price of recorders to come down so that we can quit wasting our time with DVDs and get everything to blue ray already...

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I don't even read the articles anymore before I post a comment, I just read the handpicked troll inspiring headlines!

Seriously, who cares about a Japan only BluE-Ray and VHS recorder anyway?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ichibanrob[/nom]those that are still using VHS because they have not been willing to pony up for DVD... will NOT buy this, it will be too expensive. Blueray has a limited life. There will always be a place for disks and the convience of them... but digital downloads will trump physical media in the near future, if it hasn't already. and who knows what "blue yay" is? anyone?[/citation]

to believe digital downloads will become 'mainstream' anytime soon is... horribly overoptimistic... you and those in your area might have decent internet connections but the greater majority of people in the USA have sub par bandwidth allotments and with the imminent imposition of data caps, this Utopian idea is quickly becoming a pipe dream...

let us also not forget that, people take forever to adopt new technology and outright refuse anything that is overly complicated... digital downloads require too many things to work correctly for it to become mainstream... and then there's the DRM and the lack of portability demanded by the common user...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
its useless. It wont decode DirectTV or Cable TV, it wont decode your movies and you wont be able to record anything but local over the air channels, with commericials. again i say USELESS

wicketr

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You guys have got it all wrong. This so that senior citizens can copy their blu-rays onto VHS for storage and sharing.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]wicketr[/nom]This so that senior citizens can copy their blu-rays onto VHS for storage and sharing.[/citation]
We get what you mean, but a dedicated VHS recorder for one time use? Why Blu-Ray and 2TB for VHS and TV? Are they setting up a mom-and-pop piracy shop? Who needs a timer for recording TV with that much storage!

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Wow, I never realized how many Tom's readers are ignorant. Finally, people are forgoing the digital horse !@!# and returning to albums as their quality is far superior. The same is true with my Super VHS machines and Super VHS tapes, which are still more than compatible with the common NTSC signal. Compression sucks no matter how you look at it. I wouldn't be surprised if most of you don't even understand the digital conversion sampling process and why so much of the information is lost. It's not a question of using antiquated stuff. It's a question of not go over to some cheaply manufactured crap that's shoved down ignorant throats. Maybe I am older, but at least I grow up in a generation where we could get to the Moon, and things weren't meant to fall apart after a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.