Paramount First to Sell UltraViolet Movies Directly

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Ultraviolet was both a bad, and good movie. But mostly just bad.

now, the original animated series, that was amazing.

TANGENT.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Wow, that just killed Ultraviolet right there, it lost it's selling point completely. The point was to not have it fragment and it already has, in less than a year.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
wow... selling ultraviolet for as much as the dvd/bluray versions.... way to screw us.

right now on amazon

The Smurfs / The Smurfs: Christmas Carol (Three-Disc Combo Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (2011)

22$ from amazon, 15$ from supercdjoint

and they want to sell digital alone, hd, for 20$

smerfs isnt the best movie to point this out on but its one mentioned above.

now, hollywood sees box office as the only thing that matters and everything else is a candy coating... why screw us this much? why screw netflix as much as they are? i just cant understand this as anything else but blind greed.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I saw this coming a mile away. The UV platform seemed too easy, too convenient. In it's original form this is what consumers wanted, the ability to watch our content on any device no matter where we happen to be. Now that the studios are getting their hands on it they are putting restrictions on it and pricing it far too high to compete with current products.

I predict 2 years and a handful of lawsuits are going to be the end of this product. Oh well I guess I'll stick with Amazon and Netflix for a little while longer.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
No wonder people pirate stuff. Reading the above article on how, what and where can/cannot/can maybe done ruins the experience.
I don't want to bother with it. Keep your goddamn movie !
You know that Aunt Lilly will never figure this out seeing that her VCR still blinks 12:00
It sounded like a step in the right direction; than paranoia and greed set in coupled with idiotic pricing. I am getting so tired of anything having to do with Hollywood. F... em !

G

My wife and I buy the Blu Ray disk versions of movies and will not buy a digital only copy. We do, however, like it when the Blu Ray comes with the digital copy and lately we have been liking the UltraViolet digital versions as they are less restrictive than typical digital copies. I hated UltraViolet when it first came out because the client was insanely buggy, but it's pretty clean now and works on all of my devices (PC/Laptop/Nook Tablet/Android cellphone). The only other digital movie service that compares to UltraViolet is the Disney Digital Copy which after you register your copy with their rewards program, you can watch the digital version through any web browser and if the movie didn't come with a digital copy, it's typically $3 to add it.

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I posted the previous Anonymous comment...

I'm not happy that Paramount is not using the Flixster app for UltraViolet for their movies and will not be purchasing any digital only versions. It's bad enough I have to go through Flixster, WB Digital Editions, Disney Digital or Amazon Digital to watch my digital movies that aren't the older yet heavily DRM'd downloaded copies. I don't need another application to keep track of which movies are on which application...

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
haha, they think they are keeping piracy down by implementing all of these restrictions - but in reality, they are just making the product less attractive to purchase/use and making the alternative (pirating it) the more appealing approach. I'm all for paying for my media rather than stealing it (I pay for all my music on amazon and I buy a lot of blueray movies), but when you make it difficult for me to OWN what I pay for, then you deserve to get ripped of by pirates.

"The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers". Why has NOBODY learned from starwars?

Great lower video and audio quality than Blu Ray with a higher price and vastly more difficult to use. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

Online movie sales will never defeat DVD or Blu Ray unless it is as easy or easier then hitting the input button, popping a disc in a player and pressing the play button and be watching it on your TV. For the large majority of consumers even that concept is difficult to grasp.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Nah Ill just stick to my RedBox and burn methodology. If the movie is really good and I think its worth it then I will actually buy a copy when its less than $15 and then proceed to burn that. This way I decide what devices my movie can play on and at what quality.

Paramount your re-tarted if you think this scheme is going to be successful outside of a few iTards entrenched into Apples ecosystem.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I have a hard time accepting ultra violet when when most blu-rays that I purchases are dvd combo packs anyway. If I want it on my iphone I'll use Badaboom or Handbrake and encode it in 10 minutes but when I want a hi-def copy for playback on my htpc then I rip the BD and and use mkv format with settings that works for me. But where ultra violet goes wrong is how they continually try to force it upon the user with severe limitations and then advertise that you can play and watch your movie anywhere. I don't know about you but with the majority of mobile carriers imposing data caps and higher prices, UltraViolet is just another UltraFail to me

Status
Not open for further replies.