Paramount Partnering with BitTorrent on Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
....except the disc version will feature an additional two hours of exclusive footage including an alternate ending and a behind-the-scenes documentary.
And that one too will be on bittorrents my friend! xD

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]nesto1000[/nom]And that one too will be on bittorrents my friend! xD[/citation]

beat me to it. When you search for it the two will be right next to each other.

But...with netflix and redbox so cheap I don't really find piracy to "save" that much money.

G

"But the BitTorrent-DVD scheme smells suspicious, a possible trap to snare pirates who will likely rip the retail DVD and throw it into the BitTorrent channel anyway."

@XD_dued and nesto1000

no it seems like the article itself beat you to it. you just have to read the entire article before commenting. derrrrrrp.

elbert

Distinguished
My guess is the movie makers have found a way to make money off the torrent. Possible an ad filled movie but a better quality movie than most on torrents. If the movie compression makes it impossible to rip out or skip ads this could be a real win win for all.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Chances are they'll make money on this by reporting it cost tens of millions to make, and plus their losses for distributing it for free. Hollywood accounting at its finest.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
This is actually quite genius. It's essentially advertisement for the real DVD.

They're not trying to win over pirates, as everyone here has assumed.

On the contrary, they're targeting "morally sound" internet users that are already against piracy, who would jump at the chance to download a full DRM-less movie legally. These people have a good chance of then going on to buy the DVD that comes with all the extra features.

The pirates are going to be pirates....Paramount aren't stupid. This is just genius advertising to people who wouldn't pirate in the first place.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
It could be a trap, but more than likely Paramount is seeing a new avenue for advertising and sales and that would be more important to them. They only danger I see is if the movie moguls start doing this they can use any money coming in from this avenue to turn around and use against those they deem to be pirating, thereby trying to slowly dominate the torrents.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hollywood has been unable to stopper the leak of torrented movies on the internet. Maybe if they just open the floodgates the dam will break and the ISP's won't be able to handle the capacity. This could be directly related to the usage caps being put in place all over the world, so that a 5gb download costs you the same $10 that a movie would. Conspiracy theorists go! lol

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I think it is a marketing experiment. They are probably trying to construct arguments for or against whether bittorrent sharing boosts or hurts sales. Maybe they will count the number of bittorrent downloads and compare that figure to the number of ensuing DVD sales.

So the "catch" would then be that if this will be downloaded profusely and generate almost no DVD sales whereas it is allegedly illegally seeded on torrent sites, they will bee able to say "See, we've tried and now we have evidence that bittorrent sharing is damaging to our sales!" or something along that line.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My guess is the movie is add supported, the way users will not see them as something skip-able. That is integrated into objects the movie characters use or into the walls of the scenes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.