Paramount, Sony Offering DivX Movies to Own

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
what a bunch of total BS this idea is.Just go out and buy a DVD or better yet buy yourself a used DVD, sticck the used DVD in your computer,rip it to wjhatever you need, and then download to to your player of choice via computer or a DVD Burned disc.

Hollywood sucks the big one !!!they must think we are all a bunch of idiots.they won't let us take the discs we go and buy to put on an IPOD or whatever.they now have specail SE editions with a "digital copy" which you would get anyways from a regular single disc version movie.

i am so sick of this bs and drm krap i swear io am just going to buy only foreign non us dvd or buy us used dvd keeping money away from these shyster studios.

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Thats funny, They can ripped the dvd and sell the divx for $10.00 - $16.00 so i can put it on my Home Theatre P.C., But when i buy the actual DvD for $19.00 - $26.00 It becomes Illegal for me to rip it and put it on my HTPC. And of course i would do a better quality conversion then Them.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ever wonder why we have so much crap TV and poor movies these days? Part is that the producers can't get a a reasonable return. The TV audience is so fractured that a good series only gets a quarter of the audience a good show used to get. And with all the alternatives, most people will only shell out $10 to see a movie in theaters if it is a big blockbuster.

Meanwhile a lot of people pirate movies and shows and complain about the prices if its not free.

Why is $10 over priced? It cost $10 to see the movie at a threatre. On DVD or download - many people can see the same movie - making its cost per person just a fraction of the threatre price. What a bunch of whiney babies.

Go to boxofficemojo.com and see how many movies never make back their production cost - it is a small minority that break even or make money.

It won't endear me to you but I will say it again anyway - what a bunch of whiney babies - because that is just what many of you are.

n3uromancer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Word for "the man":
It's not in the format, IT'S IN THE PRICE !!!!!
Get REAL !
Nobody wants to make you rich anymore, movie/music producers getting 100000000000000000000 $ for what they do is simply
- not
- justified
- any
- more .

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
The 2 things they got right are the no DRM and the embedded ID. At least you don't need a crippled device and the embedded ID is the assurance for studios that at least the provider tries to prevent piracy (though we know that it really doesn't do much).

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rockyjohn[/nom]Why is $10 over priced? It cost $10 to see the movie at a threatre.[/citation]
Because bloody downloading it cannot cost as much as making a couple of thousand bucks copy and distributing it in theater, which will get half of those 10$.

And also because Tom Hanks got 51,000,000,00$ for his last movie it's hard to believe in "oh, we poor Hollywood" theory.

I guess price is pushed by the major publishers not to cannibalize traditional DVD market.

G

Meh, I rarely watch a movie more than once. The only DVDs I buy are for episodic material, where renting ends up being more expensive. There's certainly no way I'd pay those high prices for a download.

Also, since it ties the download to the user, I'm guessing there's no way to resell the movie. It's more like the movie is permanently (relatively speaking) licensed to you for viewing rather than you actually owning a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.