Partners See Google-Motorola Marriage as a Big "FU"

Status
Not open for further replies.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
FU! we'll still use android, were just gonna make it look like our own product now! that'll show 'em!

andruszko

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
LOLOL BREAKING NEWS: Companies are going to retaliate against Google by doing exactly what they have been.

That's all I've got.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Google did set themselves up for this with the acquisition of Motorola. I mean, you've got a lot of OEMs cornered...no wonder they feel threatened.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This is laughable to me....all android handsets look the same haha? I WISH!

Manufacturers are already busy "customizing" their handsets (read: ruining) with shitty skins to distinguish themselves. If they cut that out, they would enjoy much more success from android as more of their stuff would be running later versions and performance would be much less of a concern. I really cannot wait for the day that you can buy a phone and put whatever OS on it you want just like a computer

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Right, manufacturers will jump ship from the OS that made them revevant...
1- This late in the game, if windows phone has a hard time succeding, how can a lonely OS fare?
2- If the acquisition was an FU, it was to Apple, cause now Google owns all the Motorola patents and Android is a bit stronger in the Lawsuit nightmare.

3- Google branded phones... So what, if they still have android on other phones, then where is the problem. Google ain't dumbed. They know one of the strenght of Android is that many use it, then ain't gonna close themselves and make an RIM out of themselves.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so... let me get this straight...
people want a smart phone
they want apps
these oems decide lets make the os ourselves,
going in with 0 apps...
yea
i see allot of abandonware in the near furture.

you want an app market and want a realistic shot at apple... step up you game oems.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
BREAKING NEWS: ''Computer manufacturers are tired of having MS updating windows as they see fit and threatens to each develop their own OS to rival windows.''

That will work out well!!!

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you want an app market and want a realistic shot at apple... step up you game oems.[/citation]
They will never succeed. Apple got success because they were ahead of the curve, but now it is WAY too late.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Manufacturers pissed because Google will favor Motorola over an operating system which Google has offered up FREE.... Maybe cell phone companies should really grow a pair and realize Google can't hold their hands forever against the fruit giant.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
At this rate Android will be like Windows CE devices were 10 years ago (software that will work on one device and not another). Good luck with that.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
As the title says, how could the merger not be seen as what is stated? Of course Google won't cut the support off of the various handset makers that support Android, but it would be unwise to think that their very own Motorola brand of cell phones will not receive preferential treatment.

tsi_12

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
LOL, this article is a real F U. So who is the unnamed mobile industry source? The writer's grandmother? Do you think these so called mobile manufacturers has the resource and the will to do something like android and succeed? Please before writing these garbage use your common sense and do some research.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]BREAKING NEWS: ''Computer manufacturers are tired of having MS updating windows as they see fit and threatens to each develop their own OS to rival windows.''That will work out well!!![/citation]

BREAKING NEWS (before they gave up on MS): ''Computer manufacturers are tired of having MS updating windows as they see fit, so they decided to allow only certain amount or types of updates/service packs, or operating systems. In other news, Dell/HP/Asus/etc announced that their computers will not support Windows 7 and will come with the vanilla Windows xp."

What could the worst happen (assuming they don't jump ship)?

neo_anderson

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Something not quite right with this article, alot of the OEM's already HAVE multiple platforms (i.e. a few have an Android phone AND a Windows phone - LG,HTC, etc) having a third to support doesn't sound like good business to me, and it all seems like this article is specifically avoiding mentioning WHICH OEM's?

The only manufacturer that this is likely to be is Samsung, and with sales like they have why would they bother....

The only other take-away is that this is for those currently small, low-margin OEM's (it mentions China - so Huawei or similar?), in which case, who cares!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]They will never succeed. Apple got success because they were ahead of the curve, but now it is WAY too late.[/citation]

apple got to where it is now because of the ipod. they than made a palm like os, and stuck a phone on it. im willing to bet that if ipod didnt establish itself as the cool mp3 player, iphone would be as popular as their desktops.

oems want to play in that market... suck it up, and update your damn phones faster, use some standardized hardware for compatibility, google haveinb motorola will just let them have a phone that when a android is launched, a phone will actually run the os, unlike now where its on 4.0 right, but many people are still on 2, not by choice, but because oems suck.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
[citation][nom]neo_anderson[/nom]The only manufacturer that this is likely to be is Samsung, and with sales like they have why would they bother...[/citation]

That'd be my guess as well since they're making noises about doing their own ad system.
They're doing well right now because they've got the best handsets...their SAMOLED manufacturing gives them a big edge in profit.

As for all the others, they already have their own stupid like little marketplaces. They don't work. Developers don't care about them (I'm one and I certainly don't care). I care about Google Play and it looks like I'm going to have to care about Amazon's marketplace because that's where all the users and sales are.
Even if they let users sideload apps, most people won't do it.

And then if they fork the OS, they'll get sued by Apple w/o Google's help in defending themselves...on top of low margins because users won't care to use their devices w/ few apps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.