Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Load up a tractor trailer with 40,000lbs of amfo, park it infront of their HQ and enjoy the show.[/citation]
I think you mean ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil). And honestly, I doubt they have anything that resembles what we would think of as a headquarters. Probably more like rented office space and not even a sign on the door. This just demonstrates an overwhelming need for a major reform of the patent system. Good luck with that, however, since the majority of politicians are lawyers, and the various lawyer associations are some of the biggest contributors to politicians at all levels.

ghost11

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
"The company claims that it owns more than 550 patents, all of which are in the areas of PC and consumer mobile devices, computer peripherals and communications services".....I bet Apple is already thinking of buying digitude so that it can use the patents to sue other companies in the future.

_SirO_

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The guy who patented this "Remote Procedure Call Component Management Method for a Heterogeneous Computer Network" is a complete *genius*.

This is used in literally in millions of applications. If they win this one, no company writing software with RPC is safe.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
We need more ridiculous patent trolls. More more more! We need the entire tech industry, the real players, the guys that make all the stuff, to use their influence and their lobby to remove the ridiculous patent system such as it is. Because most citizens don't know or don't care about the state of tech patents. Down with patents! One or two years max! It needs to get worse before it gets better.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
you think this is bad lol. you don't know the rights to your genetic coding, that's right. there's a company out there that has property over your genes.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm5,926,636 - February 21, 1996 - Adaptec5,929,655 - March 25, 1997 - Adaptec6,208,879 - March 8, 1999 - Mitsubishi6,456,841 - June 1, 1999 - Mitsubishi[/citation]
Like I said, early 90s. These were awarded in late 90s. There's prior art. Period.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Today's headline : Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry
Tomorrow's : Price goes up, consumer wallet brutally raped.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
solution: patents only applicable for one year. by then, the tech should be common goods, and technology should have moved forward.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
" Mobile Communication Apparatus Notifying User of Reproduction Waiting Information Effectively"

That's when you're anxiously waiting to see the pregnancy test result, right?

kooldj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
patent is in real a business stamp..if u dont get this stamp, u cant do the business...its a fuking monooply set by giant organizations...someone who tries to come up with a new device or idea, is most likely to get sued for illegally using some xyz technology out of millions..how the fuck do we know that what we are using is patented by some mean fuktard, who does nothing in life but buys patents and sues for money

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Only the ORIGINAL Patent filer should be able to sue, not someone who "buys" it.[/citation]

I totally agree. I would be willing to bet they could use as a defense similar to what is used in property law (basically if you purchase a house where a certain group of people or neighbors who were allowed to use the property by the previous owners, after a long period of time, this could be then considered a permanent right). Unfortunately, I cant remember the legal term.

The other option to get rid of the patent trolls is to make them responsible for the legal costs if it is seen as frivolous.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Did they even offer to license the technology, or did they jump straight into lawsuits?

I think that was a rhetorical question...

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I would love to see something like this go to court with the defendants trotting out thier lawyers and saying, "We aren't infringing patent 5,929,655: Dual-Purpose I/O Circuit in a Combined LINK/PHY Integrated Circuit. We use our own patent 6,321,444: Multi-Purpose Circuit for I/O in a Joined LINK/PHY Integrated Circuit."

Maybe then a judge will say, "WTF. What's the difference?", and order the overhaul of patent applications and reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.