Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Cmon man!

You all know they are doing this in an attempt to extort settlement money from all the companies. High tech ambulance chasers is all they are.

According to their own website they are owned by a capital company with a "distinguished track record for investing in intellectual property assets". Probably all lawyers.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I believe that companies should only be able to patent technologies that THEY created. Buying companies for their patents shouldn't be allowed, you shouldn't be able to trade and buy patents like you do in Monopoly. If a company goes under then their patents DIE with them and they become free for all to use (because obviously they were not good enough to keep the company in business). If a company is aquired then the patents DIE as well and become free for all. This would do away with a lot of the greed and manipulation of patents.

But it still allows companies like MS to pour billions into R&D and see profit from their work. If MS/Apple/Intel invent somethign cool then others should have to pay if they want to use it. Period. But buying companies (Google) for their patents is just wrong, right now it's mandatory to compete, so that's not Google's fault, but it's still wrong. I think licensing your patents is RIGHT, suing is wrong (but then people shouldn't be using the patents unless they have permission either).

G

It's time that the patent laws are fixed. Unless these trolls actually manufacture something with their "patented technology" then they should have no right to sue. And I'm not talking prototypes or runs in the hundreds. They actually should have a leading product which shows they were financially inconvenienced by use of their patent.
They are parasites and are doing society harm in slowing down progress.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
At some point in time the "Director of insurgent government relations" for one of these companies will find an easy solution to all of these patent problems and just hire some drug smugglers... err Couriers to offer everyone involved with these practices take a trip to a third world country that they cannot refuse. After they arrive at their destination the will all decide to "retire" in a bloody pile on a curb.

retrophe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I think you mean ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil). And honestly, I doubt they have anything that resembles what we would think of as a headquarters. Probably more like rented office space and not even a sign on the door. This just demonstrates an overwhelming need for a major reform of the patent system. Good luck with that, however, since the majority of politicians are lawyers, and the various lawyer associations are some of the biggest contributors to politicians at all levels.[/citation]

LMAO Just looked up their address on Google maps street view; it is rented office space. Credit collection agencies do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.