PC HDMI to 5.1 Receiver No Sound

pink soda

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to connect my PC to receiver in order to get true 5.1 surround sound. The goal is to end up with a setup capable of playing files such as this on MPC-HC with accurate 5.1 sound.

Here's my equipment:
Receiver
Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QQXDVC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Graphics Card (with onboard audio)
GeForce nVidia GTX 460
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWW2KK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard (with onboard audio)
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128437

OS
Windows 7 x64

Currently, I'm running an HDMI cable from the Graphics Card to the receiver, and this gives me no sound:

7q1x.png

I noticed that sound setting said S/PDIF, so I tried an S/PDIF connector from the motherboard to the receiver. This gave me sound, and it passed the 5.1 DTS Audio and Dolby Digital tests in the sound settings, but I had no luck with the above 5.1 test video, which is AC3 5.1. I tried other videos with 5.1 in MPC-HC, but the receiver said it was getting a stereo signal in all of them.

Is there any way to get these 5.1 videos to work without replacing any of my hardware? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also found that changing the receiver HDMI settings from Amp to Amp+TV gave me sound via HDMI without the need for S/PDIF, but again, it was only a stereo signal.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Did you set the Windows sound source output to the Nvidia High Definition Audio?

The older cards required a connection from the motherboard sound to an input on the card, but I do not think that yours needs that -- just the drivers and setting the output.

pink soda

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I think a picture is missing in my original post. Here's an image of my sound settings:

7q1x.png

It's set to digital audio S/PDIF. I tried both of them. There's a sound settings page in NVidia control panel also, but that only lets me pick HDMI or No Audio.

pink soda

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Windows doesn't let me select HDMI (in the picture I posted, you can see it says SHARP HDMI-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio - Not plugged in).

If I set my receiver's HDMI settings to do Amp+TV instead of Amp, Windows lets me select HDMI then but I get 2.0 sound and not 5.1. And when set to Amp only, it's like in the picture above: it won't let me select HDMI.

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Idk if you ever figured this out but this is what I had to do for 5.1 to be configured in playback devices.

Connect hdmi from gpu to an open slot on the receiver.
Connect hdmi from receiver's output to TV's input.
Turn on the receiver, turn on the PC, DO NOT turn on your tv/monitor and wait until you think it's booted(This way the pc picks up your reciever first and not your tv connection which was only allowing stereo in my case.
Finally turn your TV on if your lucky your audio receiver will be select-able in sound devices now.

You may have to repeat turning on your receiver first before your TV I haven't checked if it sticks or not.

FreonPSandoz

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
This used to work. Now it doesn't, even with the same graphic driver version. I suspect Microsoft broke it with a Windows 7 update. Anybody know what might have done this? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS