Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
CPU - i7-3770k
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V LK
OS - Win7 64bit
Speaker System - Logitech Z-5300

I live in an apartment building and the subwoofer on these speakers is just way to loud. I've tried a few things to quiet the subwoofer, but none of them have worked.

- I've tried to use the remote to lower the subwoofer as far as it goes, but the remote doesn't mute it completely and even on very low it's still too loud.

- I've moved the slider on the back of the subwoofer from 5.1 to 2, no effect.

- I've physically unplugged all cables from the back of the subwoofer and my PC except for the front left and front right satellites, no effect.

- I've tried to use my systems balance sliders to turn the subwoofer all the way down, no effect.

- A few more relevant pieces of information; I do not have a sound card installed on my system, and though some subwoofers have physical dials on them to control their volume this particular one does not.

I'm usually up pretty late, so my options after 8 PM are limited to using my uncomfortable headset or muting my system. Money is a little tight right now so buying a new speaker set is a last resort, and though I'm not opposed to opening up the casing and tinkering with the hardware, I would still rather solve this problem using software if that's at all possible.

Solution
I bought a soundcard and it came with a software that lets me control eq and therefore reduce or completely mute my subwoofer
but since you don't seem to have a soundcard I searched online for software that can control realtek audio (which is present on most motherboards)
try this link and see if you can get Realtek equalizer
the Subwoofer is about 20-200 Hz so when you have the equalizer lower that as much as you want
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/get-the-realtek-equalizer-back-in-windows-7-vista/

boju

Distinguished
hmmm under playback devices / configuration tab for speakers, have you tried configuring 5.1 and unchecking subwoofer?

I tried it, didn't really change much when i had my sub full blast, but helped a little when dialed to a low level, hope it helps you.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I bought a soundcard and it came with a software that lets me control eq and therefore reduce or completely mute my subwoofer
but since you don't seem to have a soundcard I searched online for software that can control realtek audio (which is present on most motherboards)
try this link and see if you can get Realtek equalizer
the Subwoofer is about 20-200 Hz so when you have the equalizer lower that as much as you want
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/get-the-realtek-equalizer-back-in-windows-7-vista/

Solution

Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

I have tried this, but it didn't change anything.

Cushioning the subwoofer on my system hardly helps at all, I can still feel it through the floor by my feet when it's on.

boju

Distinguished
Setsukai, do you have Realtek HD manager installed with your motherboard?

If you do, under sound effects tab, theres an equalizer button, click that and move the two left low frequencies sliders down. That should work. Hopefully you have it installed though.

Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

This helped significantly, thank you. I still wish I could kill it all together, but this is much better than nothing.