PC Only Plays Microphone Audio and Nothing Else?

ElisaP

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
So, my husband has this old Acer laptop with Windows Vista on it. For whatever reason, he decided to play around with the configurations - even though this is probably the first computer he's ever used. Now the laptop will ONLY play the sound that it captures through the microphone. It won't play, for example, Youtube movie audio or MP3 sounds. He's basically turned his laptop into a giant mic and he's begging me to fix it, but I'm no expert - just a freelance writer - so I'm asking you wonderful pros for help. Thanks.

kapitalistas

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
you wanna right click on speaker icon on right corner,choose Sounds(left click on it) choose playback tab.right click on Speakers and choose test .did it play sound.(you wanna make sure when you right click on Speakers Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices has check marks).hope it helps.

ElisaP

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014

I did the test and the speakers work. The browser audio came back on after I followed your instructions, thanks. However, the computer is still acting as a microphone. Now it plays both the movie sound and amplified external sounds. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

kapitalistas

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
when you right click speaker icon on the right corner choose with left click Recording Devices you wanna right click on microphone icon and click Disable (when you wanna do voice chat like skype or other chat programs go back and click enable)hope it helps.