dwdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
OK, this isn't exactly a new topic but her goes, I joined this site today and I would like to know if this will work before I spend any money.
I have a 60" SONY LCD HDTV I would like to hook it up to my PC. I have one HDMI connector on my tv and I have a 5 port HDMI switch box that I use for HDMI DVD player, and XBOX, I have DVD and XBOX and HDTV connected to 5 port HDMI switch box and the box connected to my HDTV, if I get a good video card can I go from the video card to the HDMI switch box and get a good PC picture on my TV? and what type of vedio card is better, should I get the one with DVI or do they make a HDMI out video card, I have the sound figured out that wasn't a problem. hope this made sense, any ideas. :eek: :eek:

Your plan should work fine. Computer Shopper suggests that the ATI Radeon HD4550 would be fine for video at $55. This card has multiple monitor outs so you can leave your regular monitor connected. ATI Control center will let you set the resolution for the TV (set to the native resolution of the TV not the max resolution) without changing you monitors' settings. You need HDMI out, HDCP support, and audio out through the HDMI to make hookup and switching easier. If you want a better card for gaming they suggest going one step higher in the line.

G

I have a 42" panasonic plasma and not sure the best way to connect to the PC.

Is it better to just connect it via normal PC port on the back of the TV or is it worth investing in a card with HDMI port?

Do graphics cards go up to the "full HD" (1080) out put yet, and does that really matter when only using PC for general usage?

A few questions I know but any help would be great.

jubatus69

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I have a 42" panasonic plasma and not sure the best way to connect to the PC.

Is it better to just connect it via normal PC port on the back of the TV or is it worth investing in a card with HDMI port?

Do graphics cards go up to the "full HD" (1080) out put yet, and does that really matter when only using PC for general usage?

A few questions I know but any help would be great.

PC graphics of any kind laugh at 1080p

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
That comment doesn't make any sence.

As americanaudiophile suggest the ATI HD4550 is a good inexpensive card to use for PC connecting HDMI cable.